Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping for Sacha .. Isoplexis canariensis

In article , says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 18:03, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

Hi Sacha,

I have a beautiful new plant, Isoplexis canarienses or Canary Island
Foxglove. I have been able to learn a little bit about it, including
that
it is scarce in its own habitat. As it is often grown in the warmer
southern counties (I bought it on the Isle of Wight), I am hoping you
know
it and perhaps have some experience of it. I understand it is rather
tender, but would be very interested to learn your (and others, please)
experience of it. Just how much protection do I need to give it? Or can
get away with little or no protection in SE London? I've read that it's
easy to propagate from seed or cuttings .. how easy? .. how much
variation
in the seedlings? Well, really, *anything* you can tell me about it.
I'm
smitten!

Thanks for time,
Spider

Ray says (!) it's quite tender and he doubts it will survive with you if
you're on the chilly outskirts. We do have it here but it overwinters
indoors in a frost free but unheated greenhouse. It's fairly easy to
propagate from both and Ray finds no variation in the seedlings. HTH!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Yes, that helps, Sacha, and thank you. It's in a large trough at the moment
in a place that will feel rather exposed come winter, so I'll have to lift
it in autumn and keep it indoors. I shall certainly be trying to propagate
it, so Ray's reassurances are most welcome. Do thank him for me.

Spider

I find I can overwinter this outside only up against warm walls (south or
west) fortunately allthough its not at all keen on frost it does not mind
wind and salt too much, seed is best surface sown, allthough cuttings are
easy it requires a certain steely will to cut the shoots as the flowers
are at the tops!, mine flowers all year under glass but has a winter
break outside, if you like this you will I think love its madeiran cousin
isoplexis sceptrum
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/shrub...issceptrum.htm

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall