Old 09-07-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ping for Sacha .. Isoplexis canariensis

Hi Sacha,

I have a beautiful new plant, Isoplexis canarienses or Canary Island
Foxglove. I have been able to learn a little bit about it, including that
it is scarce in its own habitat. As it is often grown in the warmer
southern counties (I bought it on the Isle of Wight), I am hoping you know
it and perhaps have some experience of it. I understand it is rather
tender, but would be very interested to learn your (and others, please)
experience of it. Just how much protection do I need to give it? Or can I
get away with little or no protection in SE London? I've read that it's
easy to propagate from seed or cuttings .. how easy? .. how much variation
in the seedlings? Well, really, *anything* you can tell me about it. I'm
smitten!

Thanks for time,
Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 9, 6:03 pm, "Spider" wrote:
Hi Sacha,

I have a beautiful new plant, Isoplexis canarienses or Canary Island
Foxglove. I have been able to learn a little bit about it, including that
it is scarce in its own habitat. As it is often grown in the warmer
southern counties (I bought it on the Isle of Wight), I am hoping you know
it and perhaps have some experience of it. I understand it is rather
tender, but would be very interested to learn your (and others, please)
experience of it. Just how much protection do I need to give it? Or can I
get away with little or no protection in SE London? I've read that it's
easy to propagate from seed or cuttings .. how easy? .. how much variation
in the seedlings? Well, really, *anything* you can tell me about it. I'm
smitten!

Thanks for time,
Spider

Spider, long time to see you here again , it's lovely to see you,
how's your garden growing then?

Judith

Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 6:03 pm, "Spider" wrote:
[...]

It's growing quite well, thank you. Some parts are 'work in progress' so
don't look like much just now. In spite of that, some kind friends and
visitors pop in and say 'wow', so I try and see it the way they do. We
gardeners always see the weeds and duff areas, don't we? Once in a while
it's nice to have ones eyes opened by a compliment. I have a long L-shaped
border which is looking quite lovely, fronted by a two-level cascade pond
which is a reliable attention-getter. All the same, I'll be glad when I've
got the outstanding jobs done.

It's nice to be back, by-the-way, and thank you.
Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 18:03, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

[...]

Ray says (!) it's quite tender and he doubts it will survive with you if
you're on the chilly outskirts. We do have it here but it overwinters
indoors in a frost free but unheated greenhouse. It's fairly easy to
propagate from both and Ray finds no variation in the seedlings. HTH!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Yes, that helps, Sacha, and thank you. It's in a large trough at the moment
in a place that will feel rather exposed come winter, so I'll have to lift
it in autumn and keep it indoors. I shall certainly be trying to propagate
it, so Ray's reassurances are most welcome. Do thank him for me.

Spider

Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 19:18, in article , "Spider"
wrote:
snip
Ray says (!) it's quite tender and he doubts it will survive with you if
you're on the chilly outskirts. We do have it here but it overwinters
indoors in a frost free but unheated greenhouse. It's fairly easy to
propagate from both and Ray finds no variation in the seedlings. HTH!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Yes, that helps, Sacha, and thank you. It's in a large trough at the moment
in a place that will feel rather exposed come winter, so I'll have to lift
it in autumn and keep it indoors. I shall certainly be trying to propagate
it, so Ray's reassurances are most welcome. Do thank him for me.

Spider

If you lift it for the winter, you could always plunge it in its pot (or a
larger one if needed) next spring.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 18:03, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

[...]

I find I can overwinter this outside only up against warm walls (south or
west) fortunately allthough its not at all keen on frost it does not mind
wind and salt too much, seed is best surface sown, allthough cuttings are
easy it requires a certain steely will to cut the shoots as the flowers
are at the tops!, mine flowers all year under glass but has a winter
break outside, if you like this you will I think love its madeiran cousin
isoplexis sceptrum
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/shrub...issceptrum.htm

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/7/08 19:30, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 18:03, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

[...]

Spectacular plant, Charlie. I love that colour.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I bought Isoplexus canariensis from HH nearly 10 years ago and planted
it in an east facing border where it has flowered from March through
to December ever since. At first it was exposed to open skies all
year round and very occasionally, the youngest shoots were very
slightly burned on cold clear winter nights. Damage was superficial
and did not impede continued growth of those shoots. A later-planted
seedling of Cornus capitata grew up to provide an evergreen canopy
after a few years and there has been no subsequent 'radiation burn' to
the Isoplexus.

During an average winter, there are about 2 or 3 times when air
temperatures drop to around -2C. for a couple of hours around
daybreak, but we do not get night-long freezes. In 2006 -4C was
recorded on December 28th which was the lowest it has fallen during
the 18 years I've lived here. For four nights in succession during
the following February, we saw -1C and -2C. but again these lows only
lasted a couple of hours at most. No damage was incurred to the
Isoplexus nor was flowering delayed. Since then, we've had no sub-zero
temperatures and the plant has been either in bud or flower
throughout.

Unfortunately despite regular pruning to maintain shape, the Isoplexus
has become very 'straggly' over the past couple of years with shoots
dying back for no apparent reason at almost any time of the year. It
is known to be a relatively short-lived shrub and I intend to take it
out and replace with the larger leaved Isoplexus sceptrum when it
stops flowering. If it stops flowering.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article c1951177-1527-4ced-81ae-
, says...
[...]

Sadly this also has shoots die back and becomes straggly, I replace my
Isoplexis plants about every 4th year (but I wouldn't be without either)

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 19:18, in article , "Spider"
wrote:
snip
[...]

Yes, I may very well do that. Once I've got a few cuttings going, I will be
able to experiment with it outside close to the house. At the moment,
though, it's too precious to risk. Thanks for the idea.

Spider

Old 11-07-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
In article , says...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 9/7/08 18:03, in article
, "Spider"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Charlie, I definitely want one of those .. it's lovely! I don't
suppose there'll be any at Hampton Court tomorrow, but it's now top of my
wish list.

I've noted the surface sowing, thank you, and agree about taking cuttings.
Mind you, I've noticed it's a bit brittle, so if a piece falls off in my
hand I'll know what to do with it!

Spider

Old 11-07-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
[...]

This non-stop flowering is very heartening! I think I'm going to really
enjoy growing this. Once my neighbours and friends see it, they'll all want
one, so I'm going to be very busy propagating.

Good idea to plant a shrub to shelter it. Up here in London it's probably
still a bit risky (we do have sub-zero temps.), but I can try it when I've
got a spare plant. Thank you.

Spider

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 3:39*am, Dave Poole wrote:
[...]

I just checked out the photos on google image, and after reading the
above, I am very, very tempted.
What a fabulous looking plant, and what tremendous flowering value!!
Almost as good as my June to November fuschia hedge!!

Thanks for that.
Cat(h)
Old 15-07-2008, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I'm really glad I tried it. I will definitely be propagating it and
hope to try it in various places around my garden. If I'm really successful
and have lots of spares, I'll mention it in this ng in case anyone's
interested. At the moment, though, it's a relatively small plant and I
can't yet take my personal cuttings without spoiling its appearance.

As you say, Fuchsias are also great value, and easy to progagate. At the
moment, I'm trying out the climbing Fuchsia 'Lady Boothby'. I'm pleased
with it so far, and may expand on a new thread once I've lived with it a bit
longer.

Spider