Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default How to fix my cracking regular & grape tomatoes

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:20:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:

:In article
,
: Sam wrote:
:
: I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
: watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
: time???
:
: The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
: tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.
:
: I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
: soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
: deep, maybe a little less.
:
: Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
: growing up a trellis.
:
: Thanks!
:
:Generally, cracking is attributed to overwatering from what I
:understand. I await the input of other group members.
:
:Try some mulch?

Yes, mulch is a good idea, and I agree about watering when you see
wilting. Next season I'd suggest digging deeper. Tomatoes are deep
rooted plants.