Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default How to fix my cracking regular & grape tomatoes

Sam said:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

I've had tomatoes almost explode last year after a big rain late
in the season. It had been very dry up until then, and I had
kept the tomato plants happy with a soaker hose.

Butternut squashes did the same thing. It was the rush of excess
moisture.

Last year was frustrating. No rain, then too much for a week, then
no rain right into a dry autumn. This year, plenty of rain.

The cracks go down the tomatoes (both our regular and our grape
tomatoes), they are not the circle cracks.

That's pretty much typical of the cracks you get when the plant
gets a burst of water.

I water to soaking about once a week. We have a raised bed, and the
soil below the raised bed is pretty hard. The bed is about 1 foot
deep, maybe a little less.

Maybe water 1/2 as much, twice a week. And add some mulch.
You need to even out the soil moisture.

Will fixing our watering fix our bitter cukes too? We have those
growing up a trellis.

Bitter cukes could be due to them getting too little water (at times).

After enlightenment, the laundry.