Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hungerdunger hungerdunger is offline

Default Hedge problems

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

I think it is Leylandii http://tinyurl.com/6fppl6 which has been pruned
too severely. It is unwise to cut into the dead wood. It may recover
if shoots from other living branches grow over the dead gaps. You can
encourage them to do so by redirecting them somewhat.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

It's probably what Emrys has said, but if you think the foliage is turning
brown where it HASN'T been pruned back, you may need to do some Google
searching.

I was half-listening to an article on the Today programme on Radio 4 earlier
this week and they were saying that Leylandii were coming under attack. I
can't remember what it was - probably a bug of some sort, and I don't think
they came up with an effective treatment. (Apart from cutting the whole lot
doen and planting Hornbeam instead!!
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MarX from my address