Old 09-07-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hedge problems

Hi,

I don't know much about hedges so could someone please tell me what this
hedge is.

http://www.baldman.eclipse.co.uk/hedge/page.html

And if there's any hope for it?

It has holes in it and patches where the leaves are all brown.

Thanks,
Steven

Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
Hi,

I don't know much about hedges so could someone please tell me what

this
hedge is.

http://www.baldman.eclipse.co.uk/hedge/page.html

And if there's any hope for it?

It has holes in it and patches where the leaves are all brown.

Thanks,
Steven

I think it is Leylandii http://tinyurl.com/6fppl6 which has been pruned
too severely. It is unwise to cut into the dead wood. It may recover
if shoots from other living branches grow over the dead gaps. You can
encourage them to do so by redirecting them somewhat.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

I think it is Leylandii http://tinyurl.com/6fppl6 which has been pruned
too severely. It is unwise to cut into the dead wood. It may recover
if shoots from other living branches grow over the dead gaps. You can
encourage them to do so by redirecting them somewhat.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

It's probably what Emrys has said, but if you think the foliage is turning
brown where it HASN'T been pruned back, you may need to do some Google
searching.

I was half-listening to an article on the Today programme on Radio 4 earlier
this week and they were saying that Leylandii were coming under attack. I
can't remember what it was - probably a bug of some sort, and I don't think
they came up with an effective treatment. (Apart from cutting the whole lot
doen and planting Hornbeam instead!!
--
Hungerdunger
To reply by email, remove the MarX from my address

Old 10-07-2008, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
Hi,

I don't know much about hedges so could someone please tell me what this
hedge is.

http://www.baldman.eclipse.co.uk/hedge/page.html

And if there's any hope for it?

It has holes in it and patches where the leaves are all brown.

Thanks,
Steven

Hi Steven,

I go along with Emrys's identification, too. If that's a typical picture of
your hedge, ie clothed right down to the ground, then I don't think you've
got anything to worry about. It is perfectly normal for an evergreen,
coniferous hedge to be bare in the middle; no reasonable amount of light can
penetrate there, so foliage dies and can never regenerate.

However, regardless of what the picture shows, you've said there are some
browned areas. It's a pity your pictures didn't show these. (Yes, I know,
you wanted to send your best pictures! :~) ). Are the brown areas near the
base? Think cat, dog, fox pee and see if that's likely. Be brave: is there
a smell? There are other causes: root troubles caused by drought or excess
wet; spray drift from a herbicide (again, is there a smell?); insect damage:
aphids or catapillars; fungal problems, such as phytophthera (see previous
thread). Another possibility is over-enthusiastic trimming, but your hedge
looks evenly trimmed, so I doubt it's that.

It's hard to suggest a solution without knowing the actual problem, but try
feeding it. Indeed, have you ever fed it? They're very hungry plants.
Perhaps you could try investigating further and come back to this ng if you
find anything. In the meantime, if it were my hedge, I would try a
bonemeal feed (scatter below hedge and carefully rake in, then water in).
Next, I'd try an ericaceous feed. An unusual and controversial step, but
one which I find helps with fungal problems. Or you could ask at the GC for
a proprietory Phytopthera treatment. I would keep an insecticidal spray as
a last resort, as many small birds (esp. goldcrest) love nesting in
conifers. As you can see, I'm doing (intelligent) guessing here!, but I
(and others, I'm sure) will have another try if you can give more
information.

HTH, Spider.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:31:51 +0100, Spider
wrote:

"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
Hi,

I don't know much about hedges so could someone please tell me what this
hedge is.

http://www.baldman.eclipse.co.uk/hedge/page.html

And if there's any hope for it?

It has holes in it and patches where the leaves are all brown.

Thanks,
Steven

Hi Steven,

I go along with Emrys's identification, too. If that's a typical picture of
your hedge, ie clothed right down to the ground, then I don't think you've
got anything to worry about. It is perfectly normal for an evergreen,
coniferous hedge to be bare in the middle; no reasonable amount of light can
penetrate there, so foliage dies and can never regenerate.

Thanks for the ident everyone, but it's not my hedge.

However, regardless of what the picture shows, you've said there are some
browned areas. It's a pity your pictures didn't show these. (Yes, I know,
you wanted to send your best pictures! :~) ). Are the brown areas near the
base? Think cat, dog, fox pee and see if that's likely. Be brave: is there
a smell? There are other causes: root troubles caused by drought or excess
wet; spray drift from a herbicide (again, is there a smell?); insect damage:
aphids or catapillars; fungal problems, such as phytophthera (see previous
thread). Another possibility is over-enthusiastic trimming, but your hedge
looks evenly trimmed, so I doubt it's that.

I've added a picture of the brown bits:
http://www.baldman.eclipse.co.uk/hed..._bits-1-0.html

It's hard to suggest a solution without knowing the actual problem, but try
feeding it. Indeed, have you ever fed it? They're very hungry plants.
Perhaps you could try investigating further and come back to this ng if you
find anything. In the meantime, if it were my hedge, I would try a
bonemeal feed (scatter below hedge and carefully rake in, then water in).
Next, I'd try an ericaceous feed. An unusual and controversial step, but
one which I find helps with fungal problems. Or you could ask at the GC for
a proprietory Phytopthera treatment. I would keep an insecticidal spray as
a last resort, as many small birds (esp. goldcrest) love nesting in
conifers. As you can see, I'm doing (intelligent) guessing here!, but I
(and others, I'm sure) will have another try if you can give more
information.

HTH, Spider.

It does H a lot, thanks.

I'll ask the owners if they've ever fed it.

Steven

Old 11-07-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the new pic, Steven. I think it's reasonable to rule out animal
pee at that height! ... and rule out herbicide drift, too, as there's
nothing in front of it which might have been sprayed. It's much more
difficult (for me, anyway!) to be conclusive as to pest v disease, but I
would tend to treat for Phytophthera first, as this could potentially harm
the whole hedge. The owners will need to ask at their GC for a recommended
treatment, as this type of chemical isn't within my experience yet. (Soon
will be, though!)

In the meantime, perhaps the owners could look for insect infestation,
although I'm not convinced this is the problem, plus I'm very wary of using
insecticides unless absolutely necessary. Maybe the owners feel otherwise.
The bad news, however, is that conifers will not sprout from old, brown
wood, nor dead wood for that matter! Sorry. :~(

Spider