Old 10-07-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Potato question

On 10 Jul 2008 10:17:18 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"Wally" writes:
| The potatoes on my allotment are all growing well
| and flowering but I have noticed little bunches of
| what looks like small tomatoes.
| Can anyone tell me what these are and should I
| leave them alone or remove them ??

Potato fruit - potatoes and tomatoes are closely related.
Do NOT eat them, as they are very poisonous, but there is
no need to remove them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I understood that if potatoes are left to flower and then fruit, the
potatoes will not be so big. Once the flowers start the plant puts
its energy into making fruits and seeds.
I've never tried it, but it makes sense, I think. It's a GQT hint,
probably Bob Flowerdew.

Pam in Bristol