Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato question

The potatoes on my allotment are all growing well
and flowering but I have noticed little bunches of
what looks like small tomatoes.
Can anyone tell me what these are and should I
leave them alone or remove them ??

Your help would be appreciated.

Wally

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Wally" writes:
| The potatoes on my allotment are all growing well
| and flowering but I have noticed little bunches of
| what looks like small tomatoes.
| Can anyone tell me what these are and should I
| leave them alone or remove them ??

Potato fruit - potatoes and tomatoes are closely related.
Do NOT eat them, as they are very poisonous, but there is
no need to remove them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Wally" writes:
| The potatoes on my allotment are all growing well
| and flowering but I have noticed little bunches of
| what looks like small tomatoes.
| Can anyone tell me what these are and should I
| leave them alone or remove them ??

Potato fruit - potatoes and tomatoes are closely related.
Do NOT eat them, as they are very poisonous, but there is
no need to remove them.

Thank you Nick

Wally

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-07-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

I understood that if potatoes are left to flower and then fruit, the
potatoes will not be so big. Once the flowers start the plant puts
its energy into making fruits and seeds.
I've never tried it, but it makes sense, I think. It's a GQT hint,
probably Bob Flowerdew.

So what does the hint say you should do? Cut the flowers off? Surely
not harvest the potatoes before the flowers appear - for anything other
than the earliest first earlies, the tubers would still be very small at
that stage.

I've left mine to their own devices to flower if they want. They're
small, but surprisingly pretty!

Peter

Old 17-07-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

| I've left mine to their own devices to flower if they want. They're
| small, but surprisingly pretty!

They were originally grown in Europe for their flowers.

Interesting! I Did Not Know That.

Peter