Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default How to fix my cracking regular & grape tomatoes

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:47:17 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:07:55 -0700 (PDT), Sam
wrote:

I've read that it is most likely inconsistent watering. So am I
watering too much/too little. Too much at 1 time, not enough at 1
time???

To get even watering try this:

Take a gallon plastic milk jug and poke a small hole in the bottom
with a nail. Bury it up to it's neck beside your tomato, and fill
twice a week.

That is an awesome idea!

I can't take credit. It was a tip I read from the "Tomato Man"
Darrill Merrell. Unfortunately, he died in April at 68. His daughter
is carrying on (
http://www.tomatomananddaughter.com/)

In addition to even watering, it also eliminates water on the leaves,
so you can do it any time of day. And it's also an easy way to get
liquid nutrients directly at root level as well.