Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jeffrey L. Kline Jeffrey L. Kline is offline

Default The Deer have Devoured my Roses

I'd trim them back, to the first outside bud union eye if possible. The
chewed ends are a open door for infection. I bet you'll still have some
blooming this year. Most of my roses die to the ground over the winter, and
their already at predicted height.

Keeping deer away is a real challenge. My brother has deer fence all round
his beds, which seem pretty extreme, but it is quit effective. I have 5
very big dogs,(also a bit extreme, what?) who, between their size and
protein rich urine, keep the deer at bay. (I've been know to contribute a
bit myself the day after a big steak dinner) The by-produces of protein
metabolism give the urine a sent the says "carnivore" to the deer. No good
if you're a vegetarian, wrong smell.

I've seen motion detector activated sprinkling systems that are suppose to
work pretty well, although I wonder if the deer would get use to getting
sprayed after a while. I can assure you, they never get used to my dogs!

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

wrote in message
Now What? Do I go ahead and trim them up, removing the ends they ate
off? Do I cut them back to other eyes on the canes? Do I leave them
alone and see what the plants actually do?
They are all Hyrbrid Teas, I have maintained my spray and fertilizing
schedule.
Needless to say I am sick about this. I have had no roses at all this
summer. I have tried all the deer repelant ideas I have been able to
get my hands on.
Any and all ideas, information and experiences appreciated. Thanks in
advance.
Mary Jo