Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Balcony Vegetable Garden - Help needed!

"stml" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener very keen to grow a lot more of my own veg.
Unfortunately, I only have a small and quite windy roof space - about
nine feet by five.

I grew tomatoes and bell peppers quite successfully last summer, and
have some squash and courgettes on the go this year, but what I really
want is to grow near-year-round, like a real allotment.

As you can grow these I guess your climate is something like warm-temperate
which gives you some choice. Your biggest problems will be wind damage and
drying out due to wind, heat absorbtion by bricks/concrete and limited sized
containers. Try to erect partitions or windbreaks if possible, provided you
leave enough sun. Also try to have few large tubs rather than many small ones
and remember to water religiously in hot or windy weather.

As for species try growing a cool season crop with low veges like mizuna and
other smaller/dwarfed brassicas. Soft leafed greens like lettuce and spinach
(if you can keep them mainly out of the wind) and tougher leafy greens like
silver beet, kale etc if you cannot remedy the wind, these have a chance of
going all year. Kale is a brassica too but I like it so it gets mentioned
twice.

David