Old 10-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered User

Default Balcony Vegetable Garden - Help needed!

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener very keen to grow a lot more of my own veg. Unfortunately, I only have a small and quite windy roof space - about nine feet by five.

I grew tomatoes and bell peppers quite successfully last summer, and have some squash and courgettes on the go this year, but what I really want is to grow near-year-round, like a real allotment.

Does anyone know any good books specifically for balcony/rooftop/potted gardening, or should I just get a general allotment book? What I need to know is the the best plants for the conditions (I'll eat anything...) and the best times to plant etc. - a real guidebook.

All tips and recommendations gratefully received - Cheers!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
stml wrote:

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener very keen to grow a lot more of my own veg.
Unfortunately, I only have a small and quite windy roof space - about
nine feet by five.

I grew tomatoes and bell peppers quite successfully last summer, and
have some squash and courgettes on the go this year, but what I really
want is to grow near-year-round, like a real allotment.

Does anyone know any good books specifically for balcony/rooftop/potted
gardening, or should I just get a general allotment book? What I need to
know is the the best plants for the conditions (I'll eat anything...)
and the best times to plant etc. - a real guidebook.

All tips and recommendations gratefully received - Cheers!

Google "vegetable container gardening".
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"stml" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener very keen to grow a lot more of my own veg.
Unfortunately, I only have a small and quite windy roof space - about
nine feet by five.

I grew tomatoes and bell peppers quite successfully last summer, and
have some squash and courgettes on the go this year, but what I really
want is to grow near-year-round, like a real allotment.

As you can grow these I guess your climate is something like warm-temperate
which gives you some choice. Your biggest problems will be wind damage and
drying out due to wind, heat absorbtion by bricks/concrete and limited sized
containers. Try to erect partitions or windbreaks if possible, provided you
leave enough sun. Also try to have few large tubs rather than many small ones
and remember to water religiously in hot or windy weather.

As for species try growing a cool season crop with low veges like mizuna and
other smaller/dwarfed brassicas. Soft leafed greens like lettuce and spinach
(if you can keep them mainly out of the wind) and tougher leafy greens like
silver beet, kale etc if you cannot remedy the wind, these have a chance of
going all year. Kale is a brassica too but I like it so it gets mentioned
twice.

David

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Registered User

David - Thanks very much for those tips. Sorry, should have said - I'm in London, England.

I think windbreaks are probably going to be necessary, and thanks for the cool climate sugegstions. I like kale too so that's going on the list. Shall look into a range of pots too.

Still looking for a good book recommendation if anyone has one. I'm aware of Google, but I've always found personal recommendations more useful.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Les Les is offline

stml wrote:
David - Thanks very much for those tips. Sorry, should have said - I'm
in London, England.

I think windbreaks are probably going to be necessary, and thanks for
the cool climate sugegstions. I like kale too so that's going on the
list. Shall look into a range of pots too.

Still looking for a good book recommendation if anyone has one. I'm
aware of Google, but I've always found personal recommendations more
useful.

Try "Plants in Pots" by Andi Clevely

Les

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Les wrote:

stml wrote:
David - Thanks very much for those tips. Sorry, should have said - I'm
in London, England.

I think windbreaks are probably going to be necessary, and thanks for
the cool climate sugegstions. I like kale too so that's going on the
list. Shall look into a range of pots too.

Still looking for a good book recommendation if anyone has one. I'm
aware of Google, but I've always found personal recommendations more
useful.

Try "Plants in Pots" by Andi Clevely

Les

I don't recognize Les as a poster in this newsgroup. The book was
published May 25, 2008. It hasn't been reviewed by anyone yet. Amazon
tersely describes it as "a simple, practical guide to planting in pots."
Curiously, Les didn't recommend the book. He didn't say he found it
useful or well written. He only said, "try "Plants in Pots"". I'd wait
for a warmer recommendation.

On the other hand. If you are looking for a mean/maudlin, pretentious,
foul mouth, I think we have just the boy for you;-)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 15-07-2008, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"stml" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm a novice gardener very keen to grow a lot more of my own veg.
Unfortunately, I only have a small and quite windy roof space - about
nine feet by five.

I grew tomatoes and bell peppers quite successfully last summer, and
have some squash and courgettes on the go this year, but what I really
want is to grow near-year-round, like a real allotment.

Does anyone know any good books specifically for balcony/rooftop/potted
gardening, or should I just get a general allotment book? What I need to
know is the the best plants for the conditions (I'll eat anything...)
and the best times to plant etc. - a real guidebook.

All tips and recommendations gratefully received - Cheers!

You may want to check he

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/balcony/

--
stml

Vegetable Garden Programs for Participating Vegetable Growers Shai Lawns 0 11-08-2010 09:51 AM
Tomatoes... cherry tomato plants, in a pot, on my balcony... HELP PLEASE The Cat Whisperer Gardening 7 01-09-2006 03:09 PM
Balcony garden dkra Edible Gardening 0 30-06-2003 05:32 AM
Fruit & Vegetable Rinse washes fruit & vegetable thoroughly to prevent Isaac Kwong sci.agriculture 0 02-06-2003 06:44 PM
Long-lasting wooden containers for balcony garden Gabriel Gardening 8 08-03-2003 02:56 AM