Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Andy

Default rhododendron problem

Thanks Timothy and James--that's a great site, also, Timothy--thanks for
pasing it along. From that site, what's happening to mine looks most like
"Marginal leaf necrosis" or possible "Gray blight." This was only our
second winter in this house, so I don't have a lot of experience yet. This
didn't happen last spring, but our winter last year was extremely mild
compared to this year (it is actually snowing here as I write this).
perhaps this winter was just somewhat tougher on the rhododendrons than last
(a lot of freezing temps, too much moisture; the rhododendrons also face a a
windy, coastal area ), and with some pruning of the dead leaves, the plant
will just bounce back when the weather shapes up. This also isn't a huge
problem at the moment; relatively few of the leaves are showing the
problem--it doesn't seem like something is actively killing the plant or
anything.

Thanks,

Andy

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:28:42 +0000, Andy wrote:

Our rhododendrons have a fair number of leaves browning along the edges,
wilting, and curling up. On some of these leaves the brown is combined
with white spots. I live in Rhode Island and we have had a very tough
winter--snow forcast for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Any ideas what
the problem/treatment is?

Well Andy, it could be many things. If I had to wager, I'd say you have
something like Botrytis shoot blight, leaf spot or possibly sunscald from
last last even. Hard to tell. Stop over at
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/
Click ornamentals rhododendron and look at the supplied pics. Hope for
find your problem.....

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com