Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Andy

Default rhododendron problem

They are well mulched; I haven't watered them through the winter, mainly
since we've had such a huge amount of snow since January at least.

Andy

"JNJ" wrote in message
Our rhododendrons have a fair number of leaves browning along the edges,
wilting, and curling up. On some of these leaves the brown is combined

with
white spots. I live in Rhode Island and we have had a very tough
winter--snow forcast for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Any ideas what

the
problem/treatment is?

Have you been keeping them watered through the winter? Are they well
mulched?

James

Old 06-04-2003, 08:32 PM
JNJ

They are well mulched; I haven't watered them through the winter, mainly
since we've had such a huge amount of snow since January at least.

The mulch will help them survive the winter but without watering the leaves
will start to curl then they'll brown up. Has the ground thawed in your
area yet?

James

Old 07-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:28:42 +0000, Andy wrote:

Our rhododendrons have a fair number of leaves browning along the edges,
wilting, and curling up. On some of these leaves the brown is combined
with white spots. I live in Rhode Island and we have had a very tough
winter--snow forcast for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Any ideas what
the problem/treatment is?

Well Andy, it could be many things. If I had to wager, I'd say you have
something like Botrytis shoot blight, leaf spot or possibly sunscald from
last last even. Hard to tell. Stop over at
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/
Click ornamentals rhododendron and look at the supplied pics. Hope for
find your problem.....

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Andy

Thanks Timothy and James--that's a great site, also, Timothy--thanks for
pasing it along. From that site, what's happening to mine looks most like
"Marginal leaf necrosis" or possible "Gray blight." This was only our
second winter in this house, so I don't have a lot of experience yet. This
didn't happen last spring, but our winter last year was extremely mild
compared to this year (it is actually snowing here as I write this).
perhaps this winter was just somewhat tougher on the rhododendrons than last
(a lot of freezing temps, too much moisture; the rhododendrons also face a a
windy, coastal area ), and with some pruning of the dead leaves, the plant
will just bounce back when the weather shapes up. This also isn't a huge
problem at the moment; relatively few of the leaves are showing the
problem--it doesn't seem like something is actively killing the plant or
anything.

Thanks,

Andy

news

Old 10-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Steve Henning

"Andy" wrote:

Our rhododendrons have a fair number of leaves browning along the edges,
wilting, and curling up. On some of these leaves the brown is combined with
white spots. I live in Rhode Island and we have had a very tough
winter--snow forecast for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Any ideas what the
problem/treatment is?

Wind and cold damage is indicated when the edges of the leaves become
distorted and turn brown. This occurs frequently in plants that may be
in a colder climate than recommended or in a location with severe
exposure. Note, boron poisoning will create the same symptoms.

If a leaf has brown areas with white spots, it probably has a local
fungal infection of Pestalotia leaf spot. This is seldom controlled with
fungicides and is best mitigated by good sanitation and avoiding
excessive moisture.

There isn't much you can do now except to protect the plants from
further stress. You may be able to prevent this from happening again.
Some rhododendrons can tolerate severe winter conditions while other can
not. The main problem is desiccation of the foliage when the ground is
frozen and sun and wind attack the leaves. There are four solutions:

1: cold-resistant varieties of plants,
2: winter wind breaks
3: winter sun shades
4: chemical antitranspirants

To insure that a plant has the ability to make it through the winter, it
must be dormant. Dormancy is a normal process in which the plant goes
into a rest state during the winter. Dormancy is caused by a number of
things including short days, low temperatures and drought. Several
things can break or prevent dormancy.

* Too much nitrogen fertilizer after mid summer will keep a plant in a
growth state when it should be going into dormancy.
* Warm weather spells during the winter can break dormancy in a plant
that has gone dormant.
* A warm fall followed by a sudden winter, can expose a plant to the
cold before it has gone dormant.
* Too much light such as being planted under a spot light that is kept
on all night.

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning

Old 10-04-2003, 09:44 PM
JNJ

Yeah, what he said! :P

Old 11-04-2003, 04:08 AM
paghat

In article ,
(Steve Henning) wrote:

"Andy" wrote:

Our rhododendrons have a fair number of leaves browning along the edges,
wilting, and curling up. On some of these leaves the brown is combined with
white spots. I live in Rhode Island and we have had a very tough
winter--snow forecast for tomorrow, as a matter of fact. Any ideas what the
problem/treatment is?

Wind and cold damage is indicated when the edges of the leaves become
distorted and turn brown.

As a footnote only: Rhodendron hippophaeoides' leaves brown & curl during
harsh winters as a healthy process, & then return to green & unfold in
spring as though nothing happened. Though hippophaeoides is one of the
"least rare" species-rhodies on the market, & has been gardened for almost
a century, & should be able to pass along its trait of extreme
cold-hardiness, it hasn't been used in any important hybridazation
programs, which is most curious. I have a theory (but no no way of knowing
if it's true) that hybridizers who tried it in the past got plants that
browned & curled in winter, which would make such a hybrid less marketable
even though there's nothing wrong with it.

-paghat the ratgirl

[...]

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Bill Spohn

Though hippophaeoides is one of the
"least rare" species-rhodies on the market, & has been gardened for almost
a century, & should be able to pass along its trait of extreme
cold-hardiness, it hasn't been used in any important hybridazation
programs, which is most curious.

I think that the only hybrid I have with hippo in it is Mother Greer, done by
Harold Greer and named after his mama. He has also done Shooting Star (cross
with racemosum) that is quite nice, though I don't have it.

I agree that it hasn't been used much, though.

[IMG] code is On

Rhododendron leaf problem. Stokely Gardening 1 17-05-2004 12:05 AM
Rhododendron problem. chris.sperry United Kingdom 0 29-05-2003 09:56 PM
Rhododendron limey Gardening 3 11-04-2003 11:08 PM
Pests in Verbena and Rhododendron Peter James United Kingdom 1 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
rhododendron litangense questions from Oregon Doonemd Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 03:20 PM