Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Can you name this strange look plant pls?

"Mary Fisher" wrote...
"Sharon" wrote in a message via gardenbanter, not direct to the
newsgroup...

I was wondering if you can name this plant that has self seeded in my
garden.

My parents and neighbours who are old and keen gardeners also have no
idea and we have not found it anywhere else. At first when I saw it I
thought it was a Euphorbia self seeded, as I have several, but as you
can see from the top of the plant (after what I would refer to the stalk
of the plant) it is completely different. It would appear to be a
different plant, the leaves are a different shape and texture, and on
long stems, and at the moment there are either flowers or fruit
forming. It is something none of us have come across before. I hope you
can help.

Thanks in advance :-)

It IS a type of Euphorbia but I can't remember which.

The round leaved small version is a pest in our garden, we think this one
is worth keeping until it flowers, just for its architectural shape.

Yes, it's a Caper Spurge, E. lathyrus. (Do not eat it, it is not the real
Caper plant, it's poisonous)
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/Enchanted...aperspurge.htm

--
Regards