Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Registered User

Default Can you name this strange look plant pls?

Hi
I was wondering if you can name this plant that has self seeded in my garden.

My parents and neighbours who are old and keen gardeners also have no idea and we have not found it anywhere else. At first when I saw it I thought it was a Euphorbia self seeded, as I have several, but as you can see from the top of the plant (after what I would refer to the stalk of the plant) it is completely different. It would appear to be a different plant, the leaves are a different shape and texture, and on long stems, and at the moment there are either flowers or fruit forming. It is something none of us have come across before. I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance :-)

Sharon
Attached Thumbnails
Can you name this strange look plant pls?-img00126.jpg
Old 11-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightandjj View Post

Euphorbia lathyrus. See http://tinyurl.com/6o3mj8
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"moonlightandjj" wrote in
message ...

Hi
I was wondering if you can name this plant that has self seeded in my
garden.

My parents and neighbours who are old and keen gardeners also have no
idea and we have not found it anywhere else. At first when I saw it I
thought it was a Euphorbia self seeded, as I have several, but as you
can see from the top of the plant (after what I would refer to the stalk
of the plant) it is completely different. It would appear to be a
different plant, the leaves are a different shape and texture, and on
long stems, and at the moment there are either flowers or fruit
forming. It is something none of us have come across before. I hope you
can help.

Thanks in advance :-)

Sharon

It IS a type of Euphorbia but I can't remember which.

The round leaved small version is a pest in our garden, we think this one is
worth keeping until it flowers, just for its architectural shape.

Mary

Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote...
"Sharon" wrote in a message via gardenbanter, not direct to the
newsgroup...

[...]

Yes, it's a Caper Spurge, E. lathyrus. (Do not eat it, it is not the real
Caper plant, it's poisonous)
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/Enchanted...aperspurge.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote...
"Sharon" wrote in a message via gardenbanter, not direct to the
newsgroup...

I was wondering if you can name this plant that has self seeded in my
garden.

Yes, it's a Caper Spurge, E. lathyrus. (Do not eat it, it is not the real
Caper plant, it's poisonous)
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/Enchanted...aperspurge.htm

That's a nice site, Bob!

But to the OP I'd say don't panic about the poison, you'd have to consume it
and you wouldn't. In some people the sap causes irritation on the skin but
again we don't usually spread plant sap on our skin. I've pulled up a lot of
various spurges and have never suffered a reaction - and I do react to
several plants, even brushing my arm against a tomato leaf, for example,
generates an itch which takes hours to subside.

I still leave this one to grow tall because I like to see it, th geometry is
interesting and decorative.

Interestingly, most people who ask for ids of plants are asking about this
one, in my experience. My first post on urg was to ask about it :-)

Mary

Old 11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered User

Hi
Thank you very much for all the replies. It is a plant none of us have seen before so the mystery has now been solved :-).
It is a strange looking thing, as the bottom part of the plant and the top part look so different, you would think both parts they have been cut from another plant and then stuck together to create a new plant.

Thank you again

Sharon
Old 11-07-2008, 11:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"moonlightandjj" wrote
Thank you very much for all the replies. It is a plant none of us have
seen before so the mystery has now been solved :-).
It is a strange looking thing, as the bottom part of the plant and the
top part look so different, you would think both parts they have been
cut from another plant and then stuck together to create a new plant.

If you let it seed you will see more of it over the coming years, but it's
not invasive and is easily pulled from where it's not wanted.
As Mary says, it's an interesting looking plant. The first one I ever saw
suddenly grew in my garden and realising it was not a usual weed I let it
grow just to see. Still get one or two a year start growing.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"moonlightandjj" wrote
Thank you very much for all the replies. It is a plant none of us have
seen before so the mystery has now been solved :-).
It is a strange looking thing, as the bottom part of the plant and the
top part look so different, you would think both parts they have been
cut from another plant and then stuck together to create a new plant.

If you let it seed you will see more of it over the coming years, but it's
not invasive and is easily pulled from where it's not wanted.
As Mary says, it's an interesting looking plant. The first one I ever saw
suddenly grew in my garden and realising it was not a usual weed I let it
grow just to see. Still get one or two a year start growing.

I did exactly the same. And still get two or three.

Mrs Next Door gets a lot more, she thinks they're exotic plants and will
have big beautiful flowers one day.

:-)

Mary

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-07-2008, 08:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

AKA Mole Plant - it's supposed to keep away moles. It grows everywhere in
my garden and we have no moles, so...

someone

Old 13-07-2008, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote and "Mary Fisher" wrote...
[...]

Well we have it on our allotment site and we also have moles.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-07-2008, 12:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

Yes, it's a Caper Spurge, E. lathyrus. (Do not eat it, it is not the real
Caper plant, it's poisonous)

AKA Mole Plant - it's supposed to keep away moles. It grows everywhere in
my garden and we have no moles, so...

someone

Oh, we were told it kept elephants away. Perhaps its influences is long
lasting, we've never seen an elephant here even when there are none of the
plants.

Might be that the chickens frighten the elephants ...

Mary