Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Can you name this strange look plant pls?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote...
"Sharon" wrote in a message via gardenbanter, not direct to the
newsgroup...

I was wondering if you can name this plant that has self seeded in my
garden.

Yes, it's a Caper Spurge, E. lathyrus. (Do not eat it, it is not the real
Caper plant, it's poisonous)
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/Enchanted...aperspurge.htm

That's a nice site, Bob!

But to the OP I'd say don't panic about the poison, you'd have to consume it
and you wouldn't. In some people the sap causes irritation on the skin but
again we don't usually spread plant sap on our skin. I've pulled up a lot of
various spurges and have never suffered a reaction - and I do react to
several plants, even brushing my arm against a tomato leaf, for example,
generates an itch which takes hours to subside.

I still leave this one to grow tall because I like to see it, th geometry is
interesting and decorative.

Interestingly, most people who ask for ids of plants are asking about this
one, in my experience. My first post on urg was to ask about it :-)

Mary