Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
methusala methusala is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

Bertie
Hi Bertie,

Tomato plants grow fast untill the first flowers. Then the plant prefers to put its energy in to producing shoots from the V formed between the leaf branch and the main stalk. Pinch out these little shoots as you see them, and the plant will put its energy back in to growing up and setting more flowers hence more friut. Not nipping them out produces a tomato bush with lots more allbeit smaller tomatoes. Don't pinch out the flowers when they die back thats where you'll see the tiny tomatoes.

Tony