Old 21-05-2008, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse tomato query

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

Bertie

Old 22-05-2008, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

Bertie

No as they will keep flowering as they get taller. You need to pinch out the
side shoots coming out of the leaf joint, unless you have bush varieties

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 22-05-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

No as they will keep flowering as they get taller. You need to pinch out
the side shoots coming out of the leaf joint, unless you have bush
varieties

Thanks Robert, I'll be patient. Things will hopefully improve when the
weather warms up.

Bertie

Old 22-05-2008, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:

About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

No. Unless your tomato plants have male cucumber flowers.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-05-2008, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
The message
from "Bertie Doe" contains these words:
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

No. Unless your tomato plants have male cucumber flowers.

--
Rusty

Good grief Jacque, you've paid the leccy bill at last - welcome .... bach.

Bertie
--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

Bertie
Hi Bertie,

Tomato plants grow fast untill the first flowers. Then the plant prefers to put its energy in to producing shoots from the V formed between the leaf branch and the main stalk. Pinch out these little shoots as you see them, and the plant will put its energy back in to growing up and setting more flowers hence more friut. Not nipping them out produces a tomato bush with lots more allbeit smaller tomatoes. Don't pinch out the flowers when they die back thats where you'll see the tiny tomatoes.

Tony
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered User

Hi Bertie

Don't pinch out the flowers as this is where your tomatoes are to come from. However Tomatoes do need sideshoots taking out and just the one main stem being left and they need regular feeding with a liquid tomato feed.

All the best

kathryn
www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
About 3 weeks ago, I purchased 3 plants from the nursery (all different
varieties) and they started growing quickly, but have hardly grown much in
the last week. I suspect the cold nights. They are planted into the
greenhouse soil.

They're about a foot tall and all 3 have produced approx 4 flowers each.
Should I pinch out the flowers? thanks.

Bertie
Another tip for you Bertie.
Take an empty plastic bottle, cut off the base, throw away the top. Placethe bottle neck down at base of the tomato plant and put a stick in it to stop it falling over. Now you have a funnel to channel your liquid feed and watering direct to the root of the plant

Tony