Old 07-04-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Leland cypresses too tall!!!

First, sorry if I capitalized this word incorrectly.

My property in Fairfax County, Virginia is lined with Leland
Cypresses, providing an excellent block. This was one of the buying
points for the house when we bought five years ago. The problem now
is that these trees have grown to 40 feet in height. This causes
several concerns, not least of which that they might fall onto
something or someone. I cringe when I hear that 50 mile and hour
gusts are coming to town!

I've gotten several opinions on this, all of which differ:

-A friend told me that he believed we could leave them alone. This I
don't believe, given that one or two are already starting to lean
funny.

-One tree guy told me that they would die if we trimmed any more then
the top 1/5 off.

-Another tree guy suggested we trim them in half (and he wanted 3400
dollars to do so).

I've researched on the web, but can't seem to find a consistent
opinion there either. So I've come here for advise on this.

Opinions?

Also, some of the leaves (if thats what they are called) have begun to
brown and die. Is this a sign of a sick tree? Is there something I
can do about this?

thanks in advance!

-BC

Brian Clark -- Software Design/Development Consultant|
lid |

If your going to email a response to one of my posts, please also try
to post it if you can. I'd like to keep everyone involved!