Old 14-07-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Serotina - what's the plan?

In article ,
says...
Hi

I have two examples of Lonicera peri, 'Serotina' in my garden.

They were put in as quite small plants a couple of years ago by a
gardener who created the garden I now have out of the small bit of
wasteland that existed.

I'm very new to gardening though I am enjoying it

Anyway these Serotina plants are now much longer than they were
originally and now very much taller than the small poles they were
attached to. In fact they are probably five times the length of those
poles.

They now lie horizontally on the ground. I'm sure that's not the
intention, but I wonder what I should do with them.

If I get much taller poles, then they will look really rediculous
methinks, strung up on these great tall poles.

So I'm wondering what I am supposed to do with these plants?

Thank you.

They need pruning after flowering or this honeysuckle just goes up, it is
less easy to look after than the earlier periclymenums but mine flowers
from the ground up and is around 6 feet tall (allthough I wish I had not
put it quite so close to the path!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk