Old 13-07-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Serotina - what's the plan?

Hi

I have two examples of Lonicera peri, 'Serotina' in my garden.

They were put in as quite small plants a couple of years ago by a
gardener who created the garden I now have out of the small bit of
wasteland that existed.

I'm very new to gardening though I am enjoying it

Anyway these Serotina plants are now much longer than they were
originally and now very much taller than the small poles they were
attached to. In fact they are probably five times the length of those
poles.

They now lie horizontally on the ground. I'm sure that's not the
intention, but I wonder what I should do with them.

If I get much taller poles, then they will look really rediculous
methinks, strung up on these great tall poles.

So I'm wondering what I am supposed to do with these plants?

Thank you.

--
patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk
Old 13-07-2008, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

patrick j writes
Hi

I have two examples of Lonicera peri, 'Serotina' in my garden.

They were put in as quite small plants a couple of years ago by a
gardener who created the garden I now have out of the small bit of
wasteland that existed.

I'm very new to gardening though I am enjoying it

Anyway these Serotina plants are now much longer than they were
originally and now very much taller than the small poles they were
attached to. In fact they are probably five times the length of those
poles.

They now lie horizontally on the ground. I'm sure that's not the
intention, but I wonder what I should do with them.

If I get much taller poles, then they will look really rediculous
methinks, strung up on these great tall poles.

So I'm wondering what I am supposed to do with these plants?

Ideally, you would grow them up a tree or tall bush. Could you move
them?

Left to themselves, they will scramble to a high point and then, once
their clear of surrounding vegetation, they will flower.

How close are the poles? Could you put some cross-bars in and train them
along them?

Otherwise, you can cut the ends off, or you could loop them round. I
think cutting the ends off would look more satisfactory.

--
Kay
Old 15-07-2008, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Ideally, you would grow them up a tree or tall bush. Could you move
them?

Left to themselves, they will scramble to a high point and then, once
their clear of surrounding vegetation, they will flower.

How close are the poles? Could you put some cross-bars in and train them
along them?

Otherwise, you can cut the ends off, or you could loop them round. I
think cutting the ends off would look more satisfactory.

Thank you.

The poles are in front of a fence so in the short term I have used some
string to raise the Serotina above the ground. It is literally "strung
up" now.

What I'm going to do is put some kind of trellis against the fence and
them keep them tied to that.

Thanks also to Nick and Charlie for your help

--
patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk