Old 14-07-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default How to decide when onions are ready?

"Broadback" wrote
Nick Maclaren wrote:
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| Chris wrote
| Well, how do you decide? Pull one and see how big it is, or what?
|
| The tops fall over and die back (go brown and dry).

But, if you want to know whether you can eat one, whenever they are
big enough - they are edible at all stages :-)

As we are on the topic of onions, mine have grown well, but some are
sqiggy (highly technical term there) in the middle, I assume it is due to
the excess of rain we have had. True or false?

Err.. hate to be the bearer of bad news but it could be White Rot. Pull one
up and see if it's all rotten underneath where the root plate is or should
be.
If they are then pull them up and throw them in the dustbin, do not compost
etc.
I've already throw some of mine away because of it, it even attacked the
Leeks and Garlic this year.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden