Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Allegra

Default Longest time to soak roses?

"Regina" commented:

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem. And I take none
of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the water.

Regina

Hello Regina,

I perhaps wouldn't either if I lived where you do,
but in Oregon and next to a State park if you keep
your roses out while soaking and don't change the water,
in a couple of days you will have mosquito larvae growing
happily there, particularly in the Spring. It is one of the
recommendations I understand this year has been
implemented in Texas, recommending that people change
standing water to avoid any water surface from becoming
a breeding ground.

But most of all I have done it because capillaries need a lot
of oxygen to maintain a healthy growth, and all I do is to let
the hose run the water over for a couple of minutes which
serves two purposes: one moves the water surface and two,
it oxygenates the rest of the water. No tricks, ma'am.
Just the facts; that is my story and I am sticking to it ;)

Allegra