Old 14-07-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Pond netting

SteveEB wrote:

I have been having a problem with seagulls and cormorants taking fish
out of my raised pond and I've cured the problem by putting a net over
it. However, the net looks ugly and has the unfortunate side effect of
making things difficult for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
I'm considering making some wooden frames with fishing wire criss-
crossed on them to lay over the pond. I reckon they'd be easier to
redeploy if I remove them when we have visitors over, plus there will
be better access for desirable pond visitors.
I wonder if anyone has any better ideas or any experience. I'm
particularly interested to know what size holes might be suitable and
I'm also wondering if there might be an issue with spanning the pond
with treated wood that might drip nastiness into the pond when it
rains.
Thanks, Steve

I would consider a scarecrow. It's a motion activated sprinkler. Worth a
shot. I agree the netting looks ugly.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.