Old 14-07-2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond netting

I have been having a problem with seagulls and cormorants taking fish
out of my raised pond and I've cured the problem by putting a net over
it. However, the net looks ugly and has the unfortunate side effect of
making things difficult for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
I'm considering making some wooden frames with fishing wire criss-
crossed on them to lay over the pond. I reckon they'd be easier to
redeploy if I remove them when we have visitors over, plus there will
be better access for desirable pond visitors.
I wonder if anyone has any better ideas or any experience. I'm
particularly interested to know what size holes might be suitable and
I'm also wondering if there might be an issue with spanning the pond
with treated wood that might drip nastiness into the pond when it
rains.
Thanks, Steve

Old 14-07-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

SteveEB wrote:

I have been having a problem with seagulls and cormorants taking fish
out of my raised pond and I've cured the problem by putting a net over
it. However, the net looks ugly and has the unfortunate side effect of
making things difficult for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
I'm considering making some wooden frames with fishing wire criss-
crossed on them to lay over the pond. I reckon they'd be easier to
redeploy if I remove them when we have visitors over, plus there will
be better access for desirable pond visitors.
I wonder if anyone has any better ideas or any experience. I'm
particularly interested to know what size holes might be suitable and
I'm also wondering if there might be an issue with spanning the pond
with treated wood that might drip nastiness into the pond when it
rains.
Thanks, Steve

I would consider a scarecrow. It's a motion activated sprinkler. Worth a
shot. I agree the netting looks ugly.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 15-07-2008, 05:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"SteveEB" wrote in message
I have been having a problem with seagulls and cormorants taking fish
out of my raised pond and I've cured the problem by putting a net over
it. However, the net looks ugly and has the unfortunate side effect of
making things difficult for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
I'm considering making some wooden frames with fishing wire criss-
crossed on them to lay over the pond. I reckon they'd be easier to
redeploy if I remove them when we have visitors over, plus there will
be better access for desirable pond visitors.
I wonder if anyone has any better ideas or any experience. I'm
particularly interested to know what size holes might be suitable and
I'm also wondering if there might be an issue with spanning the pond
with treated wood that might drip nastiness into the pond when it
rains.
Thanks, Steve

Yes, netting sure detracts from the appearance. But I did the same, but
used gray PVC, (elec. conduit). Used the sweep type connectors, only glued
the cross piece to the sweep, the other end was able to disconnect fron the
upright. I used a power nozzel on my water hose to bore a 6-8 inch holes to
insert one size larger PVC pipe into, to hold the uprights. Upright "post"
were about 3 ft long.

Don't you just hate having a McDonald's for birds in your yard??

Old 15-07-2008, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

"SteveEB" wrote in message
Don't you just hate having a McDonald's for birds in your yard??

Our birds get quite testy when I go out and eat their blue berries....

Old 15-07-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 14, 7:48 pm, San Diego Joe wrote:
SteveEB wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joe,

I didn't really want to get one of those. There's something about it
being attached to the water mains that puts me off.

Steve

Old 16-07-2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

SteveEB wrote:
[...]

============================
If the hose splits while you are away prepare yourself for a huge water bill
and flooded yard. A lawsuit if someone's basement gets flooded. A
"scarecrow" is useless for diving birds but would probably work for birds
like herons. Beware though, someone posted a pic of a heron who outsmarted
one of these sprayers.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 16-07-2008, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I had good luck with a fake fish decoy and a kingfisher.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to find the cheap, orange
plastic goldfish first marketed as a 'heron scarer' (apparently
the heron was supposed to be scared when it grabbed it
and found it anchored to a rock). The kingfisher sure got
PO-ed about not being able to pull the decoy out of the
pond after six tries.
There are other fake fish out there but they are sold as
decorative items.

k :-)

Old 17-07-2008, 02:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

SteveEB wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm going to stick with my original idea of making some frames
with criss-crossed fishing wire to go over the pond. Does anyone think
it would be unwise to use wood to make the frames from. I remember
reading on this newsgroup about someone who put wood into the pond as
a ramp for newts but shortly afterwards the fish all died.

Steve

Old 17-07-2008, 09:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I had thought that they used to permeate pressure treated lumber with
cyanide (I was wrong -it was arsenic) - I was told that isn't done anymore
(real health hazard for people cutting it up) - from what I have found they
now use forms of copper minus the arsenic. I know that they still will not
cut it for you in Home Depot so it is still poisonous.

If it is not going in the water, I would think it should not be a problem
but why take the chance and why not use plain lumber that you seal with an
oil based product for boats or use gray plastic piping? I would certainly
seal the pressure treated lumber if you do use it.

I have hiding caves for my fish where the go when birds are around -
actually they seldom come to the surface unless I'm around. I use something
similar to a plastic milk crate that I either lay on its side or upside down
(for the baby fish to hide in).

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html

Donna

========

Old 18-07-2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

SteveEB wrote:
[...]

I have an entire tree laying in my pond for the turtle to sun himself on.
think as long as you don't use treated wood you should be okay.

Old 18-07-2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:58:50 EDT, SteveEB
wrote:

I would consider a scarecrow. It's a motion activated sprinkler. Worth a
shot. I agree the netting looks ugly.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Thanks Joe,

I didn't really want to get one of those. There's something about it
being attached to the water mains that puts me off.

Steve

We hard piped our motion sprinkler in, no problems. I'm just not sure
they'd work on seagulls and cormorants, aren't those diving birds?

What I did for similar birds (kingfisher here) was request as a gift a long
pole that they use for kites at Canyon beach.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTP...FIBPOLE-BLK-31
This dangles over the middle of the pond with a mobile of small mirrors.
The mirrors catch the light and all these little points of light dance
around the pond where there is shade. Birds hate mirrors and things that
flutter.

Or you can get one of these wind socks called the Laser Holographic:
http://www.aboveitallkites.com//merc...cks.lasersocks

I use both mirrors and the Laser sock above. No birds.... but they don't do
diddly for the raccoons.s ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-07-2008, 06:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"SteveEB" wrote in message

Yes, I'm going to stick with my original idea of making some frames
with criss-crossed fishing wire to go over the pond. Does anyone think
it would be unwise to use wood to make the frames from. I remember
reading on this newsgroup about someone who put wood into the pond as
a ramp for newts but shortly afterwards the fish all died.
========================
Avoid treated wood. It's toxic to fish. Do remember that bullfrogs, snakes
and snapping turtles also eat fish.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-07-2008, 06:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
I had good luck with a fake fish decoy and a kingfisher.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to find the cheap, orange
plastic goldfish first marketed as a 'heron scarer' (apparently
the heron was supposed to be scared when it grabbed it
and found it anchored to a rock). The kingfisher sure got
PO-ed about not being able to pull the decoy out of the
pond after six tries.
There are other fake fish out there but they are sold as
decorative items.

==========================
Our Kingfisher got wise quickly after grabbing the rubber fake and went
after the real fish. Since I found the rubber fish on the lawn (still
tethered to a brick in the pond) he grabbed it twice or two birds were
involved. I guess some birds are dumber or more desperate than others. I
got my fakies down in Atlanta at a store that sold all kinds of weird
things. :-D I got a few koi and a few goldfish. Since the rubber fish
don't "move" and herons are not carrion eaters, they ignored them for the
most part and went for the live fish. I say give everything a try and if
fish are still being lost... then get a net.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-07-2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
I had good luck with a fake fish decoy and a kingfisher.
Unfortunately we haven't been able to find the cheap, orange
plastic goldfish first marketed as a 'heron scarer' (apparently
the heron was supposed to be scared when it grabbed it
and found it anchored to a rock). The kingfisher sure got
PO-ed about not being able to pull the decoy out of the
pond after six tries.
There are other fake fish out there but they are sold as
decorative items.

I totally forgot about these, I also have a school of the small orange
plastic "heron scarer" fish. Unfortunately it is only the big fat
"decorative" ones I seem to be able to find on-line now days. :-(
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Best pond netting ideas? Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 14 04-09-2007 05:21 AM
netting of the pond re breeding frogs/toads Ka30P Ponds 1 19-10-2004 11:12 PM
netting of the pond re breeding frogs/toads Ka30P Ponds 0 18-10-2004 02:53 AM
netting your pond *muffin* Ponds 21 02-10-2003 12:21 PM
netting your pond *muffin* Ponds 0 19-09-2003 11:39 PM