Old 15-07-2008, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default New Ponder Pondering Pond Care

welcome to the pond group.

In a pond with a good veggie filter 20 gallons per goldfish, 100 gallons per koi.
Your goldfish will reproduce like bunnies, so I suggest finding Orfes and getting
about 5. they eat eggs and young and will keep the population under control.

The limiting factor in warm green ponds is oxygen. you need a very good aerator,
something like a small swee****er from aquatic ecosystems with 3-4 foot long glass
air stones.

to get rid of the green you need to seriously boost your filtration to get rid of the
excess wastes. a veggie filter is easiest especially in your climate. I also have
a UV light with its own itty bitty pump rather than in line of the regular pump.

get the best quality food with the most natural proteins, like krill and the least
amount of carbohydrates because GF and Koi dont digest carbs, so they are in and out
without digestion and foul the pond. then use restraint when feeding. 1/2 cup of
high quality stuff per day is more than enough for your numbers.

GF and Koi can take temps to 80 or so, but it is best to shade the pond to some
extent if there are lots of 100o days. Ingrid

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:25:34 EDT, "RVentura" wrote:
several very small (1") goldfish and
some small (3") goldfish

6 10"-12" koi to care for, so I likely have too many fish for the pond size

My biggest bother is that with our 100+ temperatures, the water goes "green"

I was also wondering if anyone knew the range of temperaturees that I should
try to keep the pond within.