Old 15-07-2008, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Trimming Pin Oaks

On Jul 14, 6:03�pm, jaygreg wrote:
Where can I find instructions for the proper way to trim this
sensitive tree? My Google searches aren't successful. Every time I try
tinkering with the limbs, the entire branch dies... even when I trim
at a joint.

Pin oak branches similar to spruce, with either once the portion with
leaves/needles is fully removed it won't leaf out again and the entire
branch will die. Like spruce, pin oaks look best and grow best when
permitted to branch all the way to the ground in as piramidal form...
refrain from trimming/shearing pin oak. There are many trees whose
natural form is to branch all the way to the gound but for all sorts
of reasons, even for no good reason at all, folks insist that every
type of tree needs to have a bare trunk... these are the pinheads...
another poor tree that always seems to have it's lower branches raped
is beech.