Old 16-07-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies[_2_] Emrys Davies[_2_] is offline

Default Rhus typhina

"patrick j" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet

high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me

that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.
Thank you

I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.

--
patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk