Old 15-07-2008, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhus typhina

Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.

Thank you

--
patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk
Old 15-07-2008, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , patrick j
writes
Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.

Spores is not the correct terminology, but Rhus typhina is notorious for
suckering (i.e. producing new plants from the roots).

Thank you

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-07-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"patrick j" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet

high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me

that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.
Thank you

I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.

--
patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

Old 16-07-2008, 03:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-07-16 00:01:26 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:

"patrick j" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet

high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.

Ugh!

I don't like the sound of that.

Do you mean 6 metres high?

I don't want it any bigger than it is.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me

that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.
Thank you

I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.

I think I'll get rid of it as well

--
Patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

Old 16-07-2008, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
patrick j writes:
| On 2008-07-16 00:01:26 +0100, "Emrys Davies" said:
|
| 1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet
| high.
| It seems to grow quite quickly.
|
| It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.
|
| Ugh!

That's rare in the UK. 3-4 metres high is more normal. It's the
suckering that is the problem.

| I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
| numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.
|
| I think I'll get rid of it as well

It had formed a large thicket at my parents-in-law's house. We had
one, and it started lifting the (admittedly GROSSLY substandard)
drive, so I poisoned it.

It's not an easily controllable plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-07-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jul, 00:01, "Emrys Davies" wrote:
"patrick j" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

*--

patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

Hi Patrick.

Wonder if its height & suckering tendencies are affected by its
growing conditions then ?

Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
years, I've had no suckers !

I'd try pruning it next spring - give it another chance - it's a
beauty !

Regards.

Roo.

Old 16-07-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Jul, 10:25, Roo wrote:
Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
years, I've had no suckers !

I'd try pruning it next spring - give it another chance - it's a
beauty !

Isn't it! So versatile as well, either you keep it pruned as a bush or
let it grow, as we do ours, into a beautiful natural shape, which
gives a japanese feel to our front garden. Ours has never sent any
suckers either - it's now around 8 years old, about 2m plus high, and
we enjoy it very much. It is the last one to keep its leaves in the
autumn, and it looks fantastic with its red, orange and yellow colours
next to a huge clump of rudbekia. It's canopy is so airy that it gives
chance to lots of plants to thrive underneath, we've got heucheras,
rudbekias and japanese anemones. I've even got a fantastic crop of red
berries this year, it's daple shade is perfect for it. If I had
suckers, I'd give them away as presents or use them to swap with
friends/gardeners!
Old 16-07-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roo writes:

| I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
| numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.
|
| Wonder if its height & suckering tendencies are affected by its
| growing conditions then ?

They are, but not in simple ways.

| Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
| proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
| height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
| years, I've had no suckers !

My parents in law lived in Kent, on heavy clay soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-07-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/7/08 11:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article
,
Roo writes:

| I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
| numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.
|
| Wonder if its height & suckering tendencies are affected by its
| growing conditions then ?

They are, but not in simple ways.

| Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
| proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
| height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
| years, I've had no suckers !

My parents in law lived in Kent, on heavy clay soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Suckers all over the place down here. It's said to be fairly toxic but I've
never put that to the test because we don't grow it!
There are so many different types of Rhus that Roo might not have R typhina,
perhaps? Does R. glabra sucker to the same extent?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Very wise if you only have a small garden! There is a cutleaved form [Rhus typhina laciniata] that is much less invasive and has the same wonderful autumn colour. So long as you make sure that suckering roots are kept under control, it is well worth it.

http://tinyurl.com/6ytysh

Old 16-07-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"patrick j" wrote in message

[...]

Roo.- Hide quoted text -

I got a sucker from my neighbours who gave it to me after getting rid
of the main beast. Obviously not well enough, as I just spotted a
couple of new suckers where the old one was.
I love the plant, and my neighbours' was a gorgeous umbrella shape.
Autumn colour and the summer contrast between deep green nicely
shaped leaves and the dark red "stag horn" flowers are the main
attractions to me.
My neighbour's was easily 8 m tall, but seemed to have stabilised at
that height for the last 5 years. I think the suckering was what
annoyed them most.
I have positioned mine (2 ft tall thus far) where I hope it will
develop to the same-ish shape and height as the parent plant. I will
take it upon myself to dig up whatever suckers I do not want.

Cat(h)
Old 16-07-2008, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
patrick j writes:
|"Emrys Davies" said:

| 1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet
| high.
| It seems to grow quite quickly.
|
| It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.
|
| Ugh!

That's rare in the UK. 3-4 metres high is more normal. It's the
suckering that is the problem.

| I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
| numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.
|
| I think I'll get rid of it as well

It had formed a large thicket at my parents-in-law's house. We had
one, and it started lifting the (admittedly GROSSLY substandard)
drive, so I poisoned it.

It's not an easily controllable plant.

Yes, we too got rid of ours due to it's most annoying habit of coming up
from the roots everywhere including our neighbours garden across the drive.
Didn't do the mower any favours either, hitting the roots very time I mowed.
One of those plants to admire from afar IMO.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-07-2008, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"patrick j" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

snip

At our 'gardens open' in early June a couple of ladies came along and
discovered a sad-looking Rhus typhina languishing in a pot behind my
greenhouse. It was a 'volunteer' from some neighbour's garden which I
didn't have the heart to throw away, and it had a big kink in the stem (it
was only about 1.5 feet tall). Anyway, they insisted on giving me a fiver
for it!

You can make a refreshing pink lemonade-type drink from the flowers,
apparently.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Rhus+typhina

someone

Old 29-07-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-07-16 14:40:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

Yes, we too got rid of ours due to it's most annoying habit of coming up
from the roots everywhere including our neighbours garden across the drive.
Didn't do the mower any favours either, hitting the roots very time I mowed.
One of those plants to admire from afar IMO.

Well, thanks to all for the suggestions concerning my "getting out of
control" Rhus Typhina.

I have cut it down and I've also cut off all suckers that were coming
out of its roots.

I did try to dig up the stump but gave up after a while

What I'm going to do is simply keep nipping off any suckers I see
coming from the roots and also cut away any growth from the stump.

--
Patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk