Old 16-07-2008, 06:55 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food,austin.gardening
suzilem[_2_] suzilem[_2_] is offline

Default Ameritech Kills ABF

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
Tutall wrote:

Really don't think it was the laywers, the suits are just hiding
behind that to save money, (and potential hassle), it's a win win for
them, they're ****ing off only a small minority of their users.

In AT&T's case, it's wasn't a money-saving issue. They have exactly
one person (Tom I.) maintaining the whole news server farm for the
whole country. He's still employed and doing what he's always done.
His job just got easier, but he doesn't get paid any less.

Roadrunner, OTOH, was a big money-saver for them. They shut off all
of Usenet and don't have to pay to outsource it.

In a way, I can see how hosting kiddie porn on your company servers
might be frowned upon. But that's no reason to shut off all of
alt.binaries.*. It's the suits that just don't get it.

I get my usenet via att's uverse (news.houston.sbcglobal.net) and it still
has the alt.binaries.food -- not too many others (there are a few that
misspelled "binaries" that are stll there)