Old 16-07-2008, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Rhus typhina

On 16/7/08 11:24, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article
,
Roo writes:

| I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
| numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.
|
| Wonder if its height & suckering tendencies are affected by its
| growing conditions then ?

They are, but not in simple ways.

| Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
| proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
| height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
| years, I've had no suckers !

My parents in law lived in Kent, on heavy clay soil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Suckers all over the place down here. It's said to be fairly toxic but I've
never put that to the test because we don't grow it!
There are so many different types of Rhus that Roo might not have R typhina,
perhaps? Does R. glabra sucker to the same extent?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com