Old 16-07-2008, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Question

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:26:41 GMT in BoQek.69149$kx.2085@pd7urf3no Faz wrote:
Is the alt.binaries pictures.orchids restricted by bandwidth or is it just
shut down? I posted a written question from BC, Canada and it showed up on
the server.

I summarized all of this in the article with the subject line similar to
"Read this if you use your ISP for more than a network connection."

Several US ISPs either completely dropped their USENET services,
or severely reduced the subset of USENET newsgroups on their news
servers.

Folks here are having a tendency to say "they restricted access."
That's a poor analogy.
A better analogy is they either ripped down the library and sold it
for scrap, or they shredded the books that consumed the most space
and were most popular. They then sold the shredded books as mulch."

Their public justification for this was pressure from the NY
DA to curtail the internet spread of child pornography.

The actual reason is that USENET is not used by most of their customer
base and runs counter to the business models for most large ISPs
as most large ISPs are also in the TV, movie, and book businesses.

--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."