Old 16-07-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Rhus typhina

On Jul 16, 10:25*am, Roo wrote:
On 16 Jul, 00:01, "Emrys Davies" wrote:

"patrick j" wrote in message

Hi

In my garden is a:

Rhus typhina

The label, which I removed from it ages ago, says:

'Stags Horn Sumach' L shrub/small tree, thick widely branching stems
covered in reddish brown hairs. Large pinnate serrated leaves turn
brilliant orange and scarlet in autumn. Conical red fruits held into
winter.

I have two questions about it.

1) I'm wondering how big it will grow? At present it is nine feet

high.
It seems to grow quite quickly.

It can grow to 6m by 6m at a fast rate.

2) Around the base little 'children' have appeared. In fact it looks
like they are coming out of the roots. Ages ago someone said to me

that
she had encountered a problem when this shrub/tree put out loads of
'spores' but I didn't take her up on that.
Thank you

I found that its ability to spread via its roots and to throw up
numerous suckers quite annoying and consequectly we got rid of it.

*--

patrick

http://www.patrickjames.me.uk

Hi Patrick.

Wonder if its height & suckering tendencies are affected by its
growing conditions then ?

Here in cold, wet Lancashire, on heavy clay soil, I've a fantastically
proportioned plant which I prune yearly in spring. Its end of season
height is no more than 5-6 FEET, not metres, and as yet, after 10
years, I've had no suckers !

I'd try pruning it next spring - give it another chance - it's a
beauty !

Regards.

Roo.- Hide quoted text -

I got a sucker from my neighbours who gave it to me after getting rid
of the main beast. Obviously not well enough, as I just spotted a
couple of new suckers where the old one was.
I love the plant, and my neighbours' was a gorgeous umbrella shape.
Autumn colour and the summer contrast between deep green nicely
shaped leaves and the dark red "stag horn" flowers are the main
attractions to me.
My neighbour's was easily 8 m tall, but seemed to have stabilised at
that height for the last 5 years. I think the suckering was what
annoyed them most.
I have positioned mine (2 ft tall thus far) where I hope it will
develop to the same-ish shape and height as the parent plant. I will
take it upon myself to dig up whatever suckers I do not want.

Cat(h)