Old 17-07-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Mealy Cabbage Aphid

On 17/07/08 14:55, mw80 wrote:
Hi

I have noticed yellowy patches on many of the leaves of my brassiccas.
This seems to have especially affected the Greyhound cabbages and my
Swede. Having googled the problem i think it might be the 'Mealy
Cabbage Aphid'.

I am quite dissapointed as spent quite a lot of money on Enviromesh in
an attempt to stop this sort of thing from happening but these things
are sent to try us!

Has anyone experienced this before and if so do you know of any
remedies that might prevent me from losing everything as i am new to
growing any veg!

Thank you

Hiya,

I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm a new vegetable grower and
only got my allotment last March.

But, because there was no fencing around my plot, I bought Enviromesh to
cover my brassicas to prevent attack from rabbits , birds and
butterflies. And in that respect I am very well pleased. The product
does work and my brassicas look terrific with little damage compared
with those of my neighbours.

And yet , I have also noticed, in recent weeks, some yellowing of some
of the leaves, especially the sprouts. However, I don't know what the
cause of this is or how detrimental this is to the plants.

Have you looked on the underside of the leaves of your plants. Do you
see the aphids?

I will certainly take a look myself tomorrow and see if I can spot
anything and let you know.

Maybe just a squirt of derris (or whatever insecticide you like) is all
that is necessary.

Ed