Old 17-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Mealy Cabbage Aphid

Hi

I have noticed yellowy patches on many of the leaves of my brassiccas. This seems to have especially affected the Greyhound cabbages and my Swede. Having googled the problem i think it might be the 'Mealy Cabbage Aphid'.

I am quite dissapointed as spent quite a lot of money on Enviromesh in an attempt to stop this sort of thing from happening but these things are sent to try us!

Has anyone experienced this before and if so do you know of any remedies that might prevent me from losing everything as i am new to growing any veg!

Thank you
Old 17-07-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

Default Mealy Cabbage Aphid

On 17/07/08 14:55, mw80 wrote:
Hi

I have noticed yellowy patches on many of the leaves of my brassiccas.
This seems to have especially affected the Greyhound cabbages and my
Swede. Having googled the problem i think it might be the 'Mealy
Cabbage Aphid'.

I am quite dissapointed as spent quite a lot of money on Enviromesh in
an attempt to stop this sort of thing from happening but these things
are sent to try us!

Has anyone experienced this before and if so do you know of any
remedies that might prevent me from losing everything as i am new to
growing any veg!

Thank you

Hiya,

I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm a new vegetable grower and
only got my allotment last March.

But, because there was no fencing around my plot, I bought Enviromesh to
cover my brassicas to prevent attack from rabbits , birds and
butterflies. And in that respect I am very well pleased. The product
does work and my brassicas look terrific with little damage compared
with those of my neighbours.

And yet , I have also noticed, in recent weeks, some yellowing of some
of the leaves, especially the sprouts. However, I don't know what the
cause of this is or how detrimental this is to the plants.

Have you looked on the underside of the leaves of your plants. Do you
see the aphids?

I will certainly take a look myself tomorrow and see if I can spot
anything and let you know.

Maybe just a squirt of derris (or whatever insecticide you like) is all
that is necessary.

Ed

Old 18-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
On 17/07/08 14:55, mw80 wrote:
[...]

I am pretty sure they are the Mealy Cabbage Aphid. I first noticed them on the sprouts but squashed them all! They seem to nest in folded parts of the outer leaves. I have now noticed them on the Calabrese, Swede (ravaged) and Greyhound Cabbage.

I have pulled 2 cabbage out completely as they were badly affected and i was worried that they might spread to the other plants and they would never have been very edible

The aphids seem to suck all the colour out of the leaf turning it yellow and dry

I am trying to be as organic as possible and i don't use insecticides unless it's a last resort.......this might be one of those occasions!
Old 18-07-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ed Ed is offline

-

[...]

You said you were using Enviromesh? Perhaps the aphids got in whilst
you were planting out or when you removed the mesh to do some weeding?

Now, regarding Enviromesh, tell me this... Is there enough slack in
your mesh cover to allow the calabrese and sprouts to grow to full
height? In my case, there is not, so I will have to construct some kind
of low cage with netting to keep the butterflies and birds off the
crops. But that will let the aphids in, I guess. What about your situation?

Ed

Old 21-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Registered User

On 18/07/08 14:45, mw80 wrote:
Ed;804521 Wrote:
On 17/07/08 14:55, mw80 wrote:-
[...]

Probably not!

My sprouts are not under the mesh and they seem to be doing fine without it (i have had to stake them to protect them from the wind). My Calabrese, cabbages & Cauliflower are covered with Enviromesh and i think they will remain like that until they are ready to harvest

I think i will just stake around the bigger plants i.e. sprouts and purple sprouting broc, and put some mesh or chicken wire over to stop the birds

That's the plan anway

I am getting a bit confused with all the different types of cabbages, cauliflowers & calabrese i have planted and when they will be ready to harvest......i think i will just keep going and if it looks ready i will eat it!

@!# mealy bug!!!! J Fortuna Orchids 6 09-05-2004 04:02 AM
Mealy bug control Cecil Kimber Orchids 6 17-12-2003 01:02 AM
Mealy Bugs not Another Question on Peroxide Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 19-11-2003 01:42 PM
Mealy bug on cacti Mushtywoof United Kingdom 34 06-11-2003 08:14 PM
Mealy Bugs Attacking Hackberry Tree Fleemo Gardening 2 08-09-2003 08:02 PM