Old 17-07-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis - The nations favourite climbing plant.

In article ,
says...
On 17/7/08 08:39, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Clematis are a range of gorgeous climbing plants that look beautiful
climbing up walls, trellis etc whether it be in your back garden or
entrance porch to your house. There is a wide selection of types, all
with different colours, petal shapes and flowering times. Some will
flower in the spring, some mid summer and others not until late
summer/ early autumn. Choosing your plant types wisely can mean your
garden has Clematis in flower for a large part of the year!

CONTINUES.........
http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/#/clematis/4529931283

Who decided that they are "the nation's favourite" then?

When it comes to climbing plants, I much prefer honeysuckle...

Well there you go, my favourites are roses! But its the combinations of
lots of diffent climbers that really do it for me.
But to para phrase the opening chapter in the "Commercial production of
Climbing plants"

"It is probable that more climbing plants of clematis are produced than
all other climbing plants combined. The fact that so few good specimens
are encountered in cultivation indicates both the general publics ability
to kill them off and their resilience in wanting to try again!"

How may varieties does Ray Evison grow, Charlie?! I think the great thing
with Clematis is that given the different types, you can have them flowering
over a very long period.

Every day of the year is possible with just 5 plants allthough more would
ensure success. Raymond must have well over a 1000 varieties now and
unlike Robin Savill who also had a large collection he keeps them all in
production so he does not lose them, I have to discontinue a plant as
soon as a new one arrives, space is very finite here and although we have
200+ in the garden I only keep around 100 in production.
I sort of missed the start of this thread, was there a point to it?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk