Old 15-07-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis - The nations favourite climbing plant.

Clematis are a range of gorgeous climbing plants that look beautiful
climbing up walls, trellis etc whether it be in your back garden or
entrance porch to your house. There is a wide selection of types, all
with different colours, petal shapes and flowering times. Some will
flower in the spring, some mid summer and others not until late
summer/ early autumn. Choosing your plant types wisely can mean your
garden has Clematis in flower for a large part of the year!

CONTINUES.........
http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/#/clematis/4529931283
Old 17-07-2008, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
wrote:

Clematis are a range of gorgeous climbing plants that look beautiful
climbing up walls, trellis etc whether it be in your back garden or
entrance porch to your house. There is a wide selection of types, all
with different colours, petal shapes and flowering times. Some will
flower in the spring, some mid summer and others not until late
summer/ early autumn. Choosing your plant types wisely can mean your
garden has Clematis in flower for a large part of the year!

CONTINUES.........
http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/#/clematis/4529931283

Who decided that they are "the nation's favourite" then?

When it comes to climbing plants, I much prefer honeysuckle...

Well there you go, my favourites are roses! But its the combinations of
lots of diffent climbers that really do it for me.
But to para phrase the opening chapter in the "Commercial production of
Climbing plants"

"It is probable that more climbing plants of clematis are produced than
all other climbing plants combined. The fact that so few good specimens
are encountered in cultivation indicates both the general publics ability
to kill them off and their resilience in wanting to try again!"

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-07-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 16, 10:27 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:42:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Clematis are a range of gorgeous climbing plants that look beautiful
climbing up walls, trellis etc whether it be in your back garden or
entrance porch to your house. There is a wide selection of types, all
with different colours, petal shapes and flowering times. Some will
flower in the spring, some mid summer and others not until late
summer/ early autumn. Choosing your plant types wisely can mean your
garden has Clematis in flower for a large part of the year!

CONTINUES.........
http://www.gardenandgreen.co.uk/#/clematis/4529931283

Now don't we already have a clematis expert on this site? !!!!!

Pam in Bristol

We certainly do, where is Charlie then? He has recommended several
clematis to me and I have also bought three white ones from his
nursery, great plants, good size, expertly packed and they arrived in
peak condition, thank you Charlie.

Judith
Old 17-07-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/7/08 08:39, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

How may varieties does Ray Evison grow, Charlie?! I think the great thing
with Clematis is that given the different types, you can have them flowering
over a very long period.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes
"It is probable that more climbing plants of clematis are produced than
all other climbing plants combined. The fact that so few good specimens
are encountered in cultivation indicates both the general publics
ability to kill them off and their resilience in wanting to try again!"

I can vouch for the resilience! I had a rather nice clematis that just
didn't appear the second year. Or the third. Come the 4th or 5th year I
was rooting around that area of the garden, and I dug up a root which
turned out to be that clematis. I deduced it's non-appearance was due to
snails taking out the new shoots. So I potted it up and kept it in the
snail free environment of the greenhouse for a couple of years, by which
time it had produced about 6ft of woody stem and was safe to go back in
the garden again.

You really have to admire that determination to keep growing!
--
Kay
Old 17-07-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 17/7/08 08:39, in article
,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

Every day of the year is possible with just 5 plants allthough more would
ensure success. Raymond must have well over a 1000 varieties now and
unlike Robin Savill who also had a large collection he keeps them all in
production so he does not lose them, I have to discontinue a plant as
soon as a new one arrives, space is very finite here and although we have
200+ in the garden I only keep around 100 in production.
I sort of missed the start of this thread, was there a point to it?
Old 17-07-2008, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:51:19 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Every day of the year is possible with just 5 plants allthough more would
ensure success.

Charlie, please could you tell us 5 which fill the bill?

Pam in Bristol

Old 17-07-2008, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/7/08 12:51, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
I sort of missed the start of this thread, was there a point to it?