Old 18-07-2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Pond netting

SteveEB wrote:

On 16 Jul, 13:34, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
"SteveEB" wrote in message

On Jul 14, 7:48 pm, San Diego Joe wrote:

SteveEB wrote:
I have been having a problem with seagulls and cormorants taking fis

out of my raised pond and I've cured the problem by putting a net ov

it. However, the net looks ugly and has the unfortunate side effect

making things difficult for frogs, newts, dragonflies etc.
I'm considering making some wooden frames with fishing wire criss-
crossed on them to lay over the pond. I reckon they'd be easier to
redeploy if I remove them when we have visitors over, plus there wil

be better access for desirable pond visitors.
I wonder if anyone has any better ideas or any experience. I'm
particularly interested to know what size holes might be suitable an

I'm also wondering if there might be an issue with spanning the pond
with treated wood that might drip nastiness into the pond when it
rains.
Thanks, Steve

I would consider a scarecrow. It's a motion activated sprinkler. Wort

shot. I agree the netting looks ugly.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Thanks Joe,

I didn't really want to get one of those. There's something about it
being attached to the water mains that puts me off.
========================= If the hose splits while you are away prepare
yourself for a huge water b

ill
and flooded yard. A lawsuit if someone's basement gets flooded. A
"scarecrow" is useless for diving birds but would probably work for bi

rds
like herons. Beware though, someone posted a pic of a heron who outsma

rte
one of these sprayers.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Yes, I'm going to stick with my original idea of making some frames
with criss-crossed fishing wire to go over the pond. Does anyone think
it would be unwise to use wood to make the frames from. I remember
reading on this newsgroup about someone who put wood into the pond as
a ramp for newts but shortly afterwards the fish all died.

Steve

I have an entire tree laying in my pond for the turtle to sun himself on.
think as long as you don't use treated wood you should be okay.