Old 07-04-2003, 11:20 PM
shazzbat

Default Runner beans

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:48:48 +0100, "Drakanthus"
wrote:

Has anyone ever tried growing runner beans in a grow-bag? We have a
lovely sheltered wall which would be ideal for them, but where there
is no possibility of a bed, and I just wondered if I could use a
grow-bag instead.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK

In an attempt to get more garden space (the veg plot is bursting at the

seams
already) I plan growing some runner beans in large containers on my

drive, three
per pot trained up canes in a wig-wam fashion. Wickes sell large black

tubs with
white rope handles for the building trade, these are quite cheap and

ideal as pots
(capacity about 60 litres) but need a number of holes drilling in the

bottom for
drainage though.
I will half fill the tubs with home made compost and the remainder garden

soil.
The important thing with runner beans is to keep them well watered -

especially in
containers where they have a limited supply. The containers will need

watering
every day in Summer.

Thanks Drakanthus and all of you for your comments. We think instead
we will put some wigwams in our border where our hedge is still an
infant, utilising some nice soil and providing a screen at the same
time (and providing some runner beans as well, I hope!).

The reference to the soil is because most of our land consists of coal
and clay except where we have imported some top soil (and now have a
nice large heap of horse manure to add to it, thanks to a generous
friend with a large horse who thinks we're doing *her* a favour.)

You may well be doing just that, depending on where you live in relation to
numbers of gardens or horses in the vicinity. Some places have signs up
selling manure at up to £1/bag, but here we have riding schools and
allsorts, and they have signs up practically begging us to take it away.One
lane has three schools or farms stabling several horses within the space of
half a mile, and they're in competition to get rid of it, or they'll have to
pay.