Old 18-07-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default newly planted lavender

On 18/7/08 11:38, in article ,
"potty" potty wrote:

Having recently dug out and replaced some very old, leggy,
too-big-for-the-space lavenders and replaced them with new plants -
these were small (8" dia) and cheap - I'm wondering what to do next to
accelerate their progress if possible. They're all doing fine, have
doubled their bulk since the two months they were planted and have
quite a lotof spindly tall flowers now. But there's no woody growth
here at all - I could easily cut back hard to less than their original
purchased size - it's all green.

With this starting point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to get
these up to a generous bush size ASAP? Cut off a lot after flowering?
Cut back minimally? Do it twice? (late august + spring perhaps?).

I've got 8 of these plants dotted around so I'm up for a controlled
experiment of alternatives if offered.
Grateful for any tips.

Let them do their own thing but feed them a bit of manure. Too rich a soil
can make weak, flopping plants. Take off the dead flowers at the end of the
summer, back to the leaves which will encourage bushy growth. You've got
baby plants so they need a while to get going and make woody growth. At
present you're suggesting massacring them to encourage them to mature! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com