Old 18-07-2008, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default newly planted lavender

Having recently dug out and replaced some very old, leggy,
too-big-for-the-space lavenders and replaced them with new plants -
these were small (8" dia) and cheap - I'm wondering what to do next to
accelerate their progress if possible. They're all doing fine, have
doubled their bulk since the two months they were planted and have
quite a lotof spindly tall flowers now. But there's no woody growth
here at all - I could easily cut back hard to less than their original
purchased size - it's all green.

With this starting point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to get
these up to a generous bush size ASAP? Cut off a lot after flowering?
Cut back minimally? Do it twice? (late august + spring perhaps?).

I've got 8 of these plants dotted around so I'm up for a controlled
experiment of alternatives if offered.
Grateful for any tips.
Old 18-07-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/7/08 11:38, in article ,
"potty" potty wrote:

Having recently dug out and replaced some very old, leggy,
too-big-for-the-space lavenders and replaced them with new plants -
these were small (8" dia) and cheap - I'm wondering what to do next to
accelerate their progress if possible. They're all doing fine, have
doubled their bulk since the two months they were planted and have
quite a lotof spindly tall flowers now. But there's no woody growth
here at all - I could easily cut back hard to less than their original
purchased size - it's all green.

With this starting point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to get
these up to a generous bush size ASAP? Cut off a lot after flowering?
Cut back minimally? Do it twice? (late august + spring perhaps?).

I've got 8 of these plants dotted around so I'm up for a controlled
experiment of alternatives if offered.
Grateful for any tips.

Let them do their own thing but feed them a bit of manure. Too rich a soil
can make weak, flopping plants. Take off the dead flowers at the end of the
summer, back to the leaves which will encourage bushy growth. You've got
baby plants so they need a while to get going and make woody growth. At
present you're suggesting massacring them to encourage them to mature! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-07-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Jul, 11:38, potty wrote:
Having recently dug out and replaced some very old, leggy,
too-big-for-the-space lavenders and replaced them with new plants -
these were small (8" dia) and cheap - I'm wondering what to do next to
accelerate their progress if possible. *They're all doing fine, have
doubled their bulk since the two months they were planted and have
quite a lotof spindly tall flowers now. *But there's no woody growth
here at all - I could easily cut back hard to less than their original
purchased size - it's all green.

With this starting point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to get
these up to a generous bush size ASAP? *Cut off a lot after flowering?
Cut back minimally? *Do it twice? (late august + spring perhaps?).

I've got 8 of these plants dotted around so I'm up for a controlled
experiment of alternatives if offered.
Grateful for any tips.

Hello - I'm in full harvest here because of the rain. Much earlier
than last year. So now is a good time to harvest but also prune, that
is the english lavender. The french ones, I leave until end of
september, because I use them for decoration, the smell isn't much,
and just cut the top, stem/flower and perhaps 5cm with shears to level
the tops and never go into the wood. With our hidcote, which I have
about 20 bushes, I cut the stem/flower plus 10cm into the leaves,
never more than that. I've had plants for more than 10 years before
looking too woody and sad.

Within two years with a hedge I made with about 12 bushes, and which
I've started very much like yours, I've produce far too much flowers
to know what to do with it all! They have exceeded the hight of the
rosemary which I had planted at the same time and I can't see the path
for it now - I had made a hedge all around one of our bed at the
allotment, one rosemary, one lavender, one box etc... So my tip would
be don't cut hard, take about 5cm off now, don't repeat in the spring,
wait at least until next year to cut to 10cm and cut after flowering
for the best result for harvesting but also for the plant. I don't
feed them nor mulch them, and the soil must be well drain with plenty
of air around the plants to avoid a damp environment.

I'll post a photo of the other side of the bed tomorow (because it's a
marvelous sight). This one is from last year )

http://cjoint.com/?hsvnIZe6dS

http://cjoint.com/?htaBsYpn1w
Old 19-07-2008, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On 18 Jul, 11:38, potty wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the detail - and the pics too. Will keep a look out
for your next pic.