Old 18-07-2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Pond netting

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:58:50 EDT, SteveEB
wrote:

I would consider a scarecrow. It's a motion activated sprinkler. Worth a
shot. I agree the netting looks ugly.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Thanks Joe,

I didn't really want to get one of those. There's something about it
being attached to the water mains that puts me off.

Steve

We hard piped our motion sprinkler in, no problems. I'm just not sure
they'd work on seagulls and cormorants, aren't those diving birds?

What I did for similar birds (kingfisher here) was request as a gift a long
pole that they use for kites at Canyon beach.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTP...FIBPOLE-BLK-31
This dangles over the middle of the pond with a mobile of small mirrors.
The mirrors catch the light and all these little points of light dance
around the pond where there is shade. Birds hate mirrors and things that
flutter.

Or you can get one of these wind socks called the Laser Holographic:
http://www.aboveitallkites.com//merc...cks.lasersocks

I use both mirrors and the Laser sock above. No birds.... but they don't do
diddly for the raccoons.s ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us