Old 18-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Rec.gardens and Moderating

In article
,
MajorOz wrote:

On Jul 16, 10:15 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:36:01 -0400, Bill wrote:

Try listening to Is as you read this

That You Mo-Dean? 5:32 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 100 2 7/13/08
6:32 PM

I plant much stuff about and sometimes it makes and some times it
dies. . Never found anyone who Iąd like to share lunch with that would
tell me how to garden. Just like what to try and I try things and some
work some donąt. I like to hear about successes and failures too.
Not just food but that issue is growing more in to our yard. Still how
to save caladiums troubles me.

What interests me is what else you folks find of value. The premise
begins in our gardens dirt and offers potential for more if inclined to
share

The World's Green Laughter 4:04 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 2
6/27/08 6:32 PM AAC audio file 1992

Bill

When bodies collide...

I did and I think I understand. Tonite in the garden I watched
spellbound as two of my favorite creatures did the dance. A spider had
captured a blink (firefly) and was wrapping it, while the blink kept
blinking thru the silk. What is my role? To observe.

This, and your post, which I had been pondering for some time, led me
to think upon one of my favorite quotes...

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Specialization is for insects.

If we limit our relationships with all that goes on in the garden, and
all that which we observe and all that in which we participate,
gardenwise, to simple mechanics and technicalities and disregard the
broader implications and relationships, we are specializing, much in
the vein of monsatano, et al...monoculture.....insects fighting
insects....it's a world gone mad, my friend.

Kinda like photos. As much as I enjoy the subject of a photo, what is
supporting the subject in the background and off to the sides is even
more fascinating to me. Perhaps more important.

Charlie, who should be retiring, but the lightning in the distance is
much too important to ignore and the fragrance of the petunias beckons
me back outside....

Robert A. Heinlein is no doubt a top five author in my favorite SciFi
collection. I have read over 20 R.A.H. books. I have almost 400 SciFi
books. Almost 1,500 books total and still growing. I agree with R.A.H.
that humans should be able to do those things and I have done almost all
of those things and capable of the others.

However, the sad truth is: those that specialize tend to be more
successful in life in more ways than one. The "Jack of all Trades" is a
dying breed in the evolutionary world in which we are living in.

....yeah, but we have a hell of a lot more fun, in many more places,
in many more ways.

cheers

oz, founding member of The Heinlein Society [ www.heinleinsociety.org ]

Rec.gardens is an interesting forum. The more I read here the more like
minded people I find. Here and no where else?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.