Old 15-07-2008, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rec.gardens and Moderating

Try listening to Is as you read this

That You Mo-Dean? 5:32 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 100 2 7/13/08
6:32 PM

I plant much stuff about and sometimes it makes and some times it
dies. . Never found anyone who Iąd like to share lunch with that would
tell me how to garden. Just like what to try and I try things and some
work some donąt. I like to hear about successes and failures too.
Not just food but that issue is growing more in to our yard. Still how
to save caladiums troubles me.

What interests me is what else you folks find of value. The premise
begins in our gardens dirt and offers potential for more if inclined to
share

The World's Green Laughter 4:04 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 2
6/27/08 6:32 PM AAC audio file 1992

Bill

When bodies collide...

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 16-07-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message

Try listening to Is as you read this

That You Mo-Dean? 5:32 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 100 2 7/13/08
6:32 PM

I plant much stuff about and sometimes it makes and some times it
dies. . Never found anyone who Iąd like to share lunch with that would
tell me how to garden. Just like what to try and I try things and some
work some donąt. I like to hear about successes and failures too.
Not just food but that issue is growing more in to our yard. Still how
to save caladiums troubles me.

Bill I believe I can help you with your trees. A good source for
information pertaining to trees specifically and other woody, shedding,
perennial plants. www.shigoandtrees.com Two books I would suggest, very
easy reading, big drawings or pictures with lucid words is
MODERN ARBORICULTURE http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
and
WORLDWIDE PRUNING GUIDE http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

Your library should have or able to get these books.

Once you would get the books I could walk you through the books page by
page. Every time I read these books I learn something else I forgot I read.
What would be great is if we had many people reading at the same time.
Not like a dissection workshop, but you will get lucid instruction from one
of the foremost recognized tree authorities worldwide. I.e., when he died.
And still continues in the mind and hearts of many many many people
worldwide. I.e., Spain, Italy, Germany, Austria, Japan, and many more
including many states in the United States, not all. His daughter keeps his
teachings going at their website at www.shigoandtrees.com I think you will
enjoy this stuff. Oh, yeah. Some articles posted on the web that Dr. Shigo
wrote and were published in TCI Journal.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/ He was a genus with trees!

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 16-07-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 15, 10:06 pm, "symplastless" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Are you asking about starting a new group, rec.gardens.moderated?

You need to find a moderator.

You need to post a request for discussion (rfd) on the appropriate
groups: this one for a start, and news.groups, and the admin groups.

This is a long involved process. Are you serious about it?

Chris
Old 16-07-2008, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:40:34 -0500, Charlie wrote:

snip
Kinda like photos. As much as I enjoy the subject of a photo, what is
supporting the subject in the background and off to the sides is even
more fascinating to me. Perhaps more important.

Doesn't it just irk you to no end when someone has a shelf
full of books behind then in a picture and it is too blurry
to read any of the titles? ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 16-07-2008, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Leon Fisk wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 23:40:34 -0500, Charlie wrote:

snip
Kinda like photos. As much as I enjoy the subject of a photo, what is
supporting the subject in the background and off to the sides is even
more fascinating to me. Perhaps more important.

Doesn't it just irk you to no end when someone has a shelf
full of books behind then in a picture and it is too blurry
to read any of the titles? ;-)

I just look at the size of the books )).

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Biblio.../dp/0252070437
/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216230950&sr= 1-1

A $36 paperback still the reviews are kind of neat.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 17-07-2008, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:36:01 -0400, Bill wrote:

Try listening to Is as you read this

That You Mo-Dean? 5:32 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 100 2 7/13/08
6:32 PM

I plant much stuff about and sometimes it makes and some times it
dies. . Never found anyone who Iąd like to share lunch with that would
tell me how to garden. Just like what to try and I try things and some
work some donąt. I like to hear about successes and failures too.
Not just food but that issue is growing more in to our yard. Still how
to save caladiums troubles me.

What interests me is what else you folks find of value. The premise
begins in our gardens dirt and offers potential for more if inclined to
share

The World's Green Laughter 4:04 The B-52's Good Stuff Rock 2
6/27/08 6:32 PM AAC audio file 1992

Bill

When bodies collide...

I did and I think I understand. Tonite in the garden I watched
spellbound as two of my favorite creatures did the dance. A spider had
captured a blink (firefly) and was wrapping it, while the blink kept
blinking thru the silk. What is my role? To observe.

This, and your post, which I had been pondering for some time, led me
to think upon one of my favorite quotes...

efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Specialization is for insects.

If we limit our relationships with all that goes on in the garden, and
all that which we observe and all that in which we participate,
gardenwise, to simple mechanics and technicalities and disregard the
broader implications and relationships, we are specializing, much in
the vein of monsatano, et al...monoculture.....insects fighting
insects....it's a world gone mad, my friend.

Kinda like photos. As much as I enjoy the subject of a photo, what is
supporting the subject in the background and off to the sides is even
more fascinating to me. Perhaps more important.

Charlie, who should be retiring, but the lightning in the distance is
much too important to ignore and the fragrance of the petunias beckons
me back outside....

Robert A. Heinlein is no doubt a top five author in my favorite SciFi
collection. I have read over 20 R.A.H. books. I have almost 400 SciFi
books. Almost 1,500 books total and still growing. I agree with R.A.H.
that humans should be able to do those things and I have done almost all
of those things and capable of the others.

However, the sad truth is: those that specialize tend to be more
successful in life in more ways than one. The "Jack of all Trades" is a
dying breed in the evolutionary world in which we are living in. The
insects will indeed inherit the earth.

Also listening to the thunder ... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 18-07-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 10:15 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
[...]

....yeah, but we have a hell of a lot more fun, in many more places,
in many more ways.

cheers

oz, founding member of The Heinlein Society [ www.heinleinsociety.org ]
Old 18-07-2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

That is because we have ridden the madness of the mechanical analogy as
far as it can go. We have reduced food to four principal crops (maybe
eighty altogether) and lost 75% of agricultural diversity in the last
century. The diversity that is necessary to develop resistant strains
for pathogens that always adapt to the defenses that we deploy for our
crops, like the four that we depend on for carbs, has shrunk.

The mechanical analogy has to end or we will. If mankind survives, it
will be because of the generalist who doesn't grow a monoculture but
varied plants that compliment each other, and grow at different
heights, at different times of the year in changing beds.

Bring back small town America.

The insects will indeed inherit the earth,

if we let them. Right now, it is ours to lose.

Also listening to the thunder ... Dan

And it's getting closer.

Bush & Pelosi behind bars

- Wild Billy

We wish to control big business so as to secure among other things good
wages for the wage-workers and reasonable prices for the consumers.
Wherever in any business the prosperity of the businessman is obtained
by lowering the wages of his workmen and charging an excessive price to
the consumers we wish to interfere and stop such practices. We will not
submit to that kind of prosperity any more than we will submit to
prosperity obtained by swindling investors or getting unfair advantages
over business rivals.

- Theodore Roosevelt

* Speech at Progressive Party Convention, Chicago (1912-06-17)
Old 18-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
MajorOz wrote:

On Jul 16, 10:15 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:
[...]

Rec.gardens is an interesting forum. The more I read here the more like
minded people I find. Here and no where else?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.