Old 18-07-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens
jadel[_2_] jadel[_2_] is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ducks Work

On Jul 16, 2:29*pm, Jack Schmidling wrote:
Rick wrote:
When I was an undergraduate at Oregon State I worked for the ARS Plant
Materials Center and they grew among other things Duckweed to seed out
for waterfowl.

It's nice to know that a common name means something. *In this case,
well named.

Richard Mabey's -Flora Britannica- has an interesting entry for
duckweed. In some parts of England it is personified as ' Jenny
Greenteeth," a hag who lures children to death by drowning by covering
the surface of ponds so thickly they appear to be solid ground.

J. Del Col