Old 16-07-2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Ducks Work

I am delighted to report that ducks really do eat Duckweed. These guys
remind me of the ADM TV commercials with rows of tandem combines
cutting through endless fields of wheat.

js

Old 16-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I am delighted to report that ducks really do eat Duckweed. These guys
remind me of the ADM TV commercials with rows of tandem combines
cutting through endless fields of wheat.

js

When I was an undergraduate at Oregon State I worked for the ARS Plant
Materials Center and they grew among other things Duckweed to seed out
for waterfowl.

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Old 16-07-2008, 07:29 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens

Rick wrote:

When I was an undergraduate at Oregon State I worked for the ARS Plant
Materials Center and they grew among other things Duckweed to seed out
for waterfowl.

It's nice to know that a common name means something. In this case,
well named.

js

Old 18-07-2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 2:29*pm, Jack Schmidling wrote:
Rick wrote:
When I was an undergraduate at Oregon State I worked for the ARS Plant
Materials Center and they grew among other things Duckweed to seed out
for waterfowl.

It's nice to know that a common name means something. *In this case,
well named.

Richard Mabey's -Flora Britannica- has an interesting entry for
duckweed. In some parts of England it is personified as ' Jenny
Greenteeth," a hag who lures children to death by drowning by covering
the surface of ponds so thickly they appear to be solid ground.

J. Del Col
Old 19-07-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.birds,rec.gardens

jadel wrote:

Richard Mabey's -Flora Britannica- has an interesting entry for
duckweed. In some parts of England it is personified as ' Jenny
Greenteeth," a hag who lures children to death by drowning by
covering the surface of ponds so thickly they appear to be solid
ground.

My dog fell for that (literally) a few years ago. We were walking
along a sluggish river that was completely covered with duckweed. The
dog saw something on a small island and went bounding toward it. Was
she ever surprised when she discovered the green area was water and not
land. Jenny Greenteeth had chosen a faulty spot for her trap, as the
water was only a foot or so deep.
--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)

[IMG] code is On

1946 Adam the Gardener November week 1 page 1 S_edge November week 1 page 1 S_edge.JPG [2/2] swordedge[_2_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2008 12:46 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Decoys Work! Jack Schmidling[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 0 04-06-2008 01:44 PM
Hey, Rob! The photo attachements didn't work FragileWarrior Garden Photos 20 08-09-2007 02:02 AM
Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mystery Photo Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 9 21-03-2007 06:15 PM