Old 07-04-2003, 11:44 PM
delirium

Default Sunny Delite

In article ,
says...
delirium wrote:
Greetings, mighty rose people.

LOL!

I have a mystery. I purchased 4 roses from Kmart this weekend. (aiiee)

They do work pretty well, if one is careful to choose good specimens.

Yea, I know, but they were $6 apiece and big, healthy looking specimens.

See ;-)?

I did my best. After some judicious pruning, I was even more impressed.
Someone had been taking care of these plants.

p.s. The other 3 roses were Chrysler Imperial, Circus Rose and Baroness
Rothschild. Based on info I have been able to find it seems that all but
the Baroness are well regarded but I would be interested in others'
experiences.

I grown Ch. Imp., which for our area is one of the best fragrant red
roses. Strong grower, prolific bloomer, and out here, laughs at fungal
diseases. Blossoms becoem bluish with age, a problem that is not a real
problem if one harvested the roses for vases early enough g. I love
its fragrance and strength.

Dandy. Thank you for the excuse. My fingers have been itching to fill up
some vases.

Oh, one note of caution. Chr. Imp. bears some very wicked thorns, so it
is not suitable for a high traffic area. If treated with respect and
affection, it is certainly a truly delightful rose, in some ways
mightier than even Mister Lincoln, gets about 150% bigger than ML whose
seed parent Chr. Imp. is.

Heh. I have noticed the thorns. Love hurts. I am glad to hear the
favorable comparison to Mr Lincoln. I almost selected that as my red
rose, but all of the examples of Ch Imp seemed much more vigorous.

-Jenn