Old 07-04-2003, 08:20 PM
delirium

Default Sunny Delite

Greetings, mighty rose people.
I have a mystery. I purchased 4 roses from Kmart this weekend. (aiiee)
Yea, I know, but they were $6 apiece and big, healthy looking specimens.
I have been able to find info on 3 out of the 4 rose varieties, but the
last is a mystery. Its tag lists it as 'Sunny Delite'. It is a strong
yellow rose. Although it is mostly upright, one branch is drooping in
such a way that I wonder if it is intended to be a climber or some such.
I would be interested in any reviews, personal experiences with this
rose. I live in Raleigh, zone 7. Soil is red clay to which I have been
adding compost for a few years. The spot I have been selecting gets a
fair amount of sun, but not direct afternoon sun.

-Jenn

p.s. The other 3 roses were Chrysler Imperial, Circus Rose and Baroness
Rothschild. Based on info I have been able to find it seems that all but
the Baroness are well regarded but I would be interested in others'
experiences.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

delirium wrote:
Greetings, mighty rose people.

LOL!

I have a mystery. I purchased 4 roses from Kmart this weekend. (aiiee)

They do work pretty well, if one is careful to choose good specimens.

Yea, I know, but they were $6 apiece and big, healthy looking specimens.

See ;-)?

I have been able to find info on 3 out of the 4 rose varieties, but the
last is a mystery. Its tag lists it as 'Sunny Delite'. It is a strong
yellow rose. ...

Sounds Deliteful, but have never heard of it nor can I fidn anything
about it on the net. May be the truly mighty folks here will tell you
something useful about that.

The spot I have been selecting gets a
fair amount of sun, but not direct afternoon sun.

Jenn, that sounds like an ideal spot for a rose in a hot climate, where
the afternoon sun does frequently burn the blossoms.

p.s. The other 3 roses were Chrysler Imperial, Circus Rose and Baroness
Rothschild. Based on info I have been able to find it seems that all but
the Baroness are well regarded but I would be interested in others'
experiences.

I grown Ch. Imp., which for our area is one of the best fragrant red
roses. Strong grower, prolific bloomer, and out here, laughs at fungal
diseases. Blossoms becoem bluish with age, a problem that is not a real
problem if one harvested the roses for vases early enough g. I love
its fragrance and strength.

Oh, one note of caution. Chr. Imp. bears some very wicked thorns, so it
is not suitable for a high traffic area. If treated with respect and
affection, it is certainly a truly delightful rose, in some ways
mightier than even Mister Lincoln, gets about 150% bigger than ML whose
seed parent Chr. Imp. is.

Chr. Imp. has given rise to some very famous and mighty progeny,
including (besides the already mentioned Mister Lincoln) Oklahoma, Papa
Meilland, Miss All American Beauty, Yves Piaget, and so on, and it is
one of the best roses I have ever known, the one HT that I do not wish
to be without though I like most other roses better than HTs these days.

--
Radika
California

Old 07-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Ol' Thornfinger

I got that same variety "sunny delite" a few weeks back.
I've yet to find anything about it. Although, it IS blooming nicely so far.
As far as drooping goes, have you checked for thrips...? Some roses just
like to droop a little methinks. I have a Maria Stern that droops. The
canes/foliage stay straight as a board, but those blooms just like to droop.
Anyone else have a droopy Maria Stern?

Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Shiva

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 19:16:19 GMT, delirium wrote:

Greetings, mighty rose people.

Welcome, leafhopper! :0)

I have a mystery. I purchased 4 roses from Kmart this weekend.

Can't help you with the Kmart generic yellow, Jenn.

p.s. The other 3 roses were Chrysler Imperial

Fabulous rose! I need a good one, as my Kmart example from last year
is still stubbs.

Circus Rose

I want this rose. Reminds me of Countess de Sastago. They might be
related. Even though I am finished with cheapie roses (too many die or
turn out to be something else or virused) I would buy a cheapie
Circus!

Where are you in Raleigh, and how much sun have you got? I live in
Oakwood.

Old 07-04-2003, 11:44 PM
delirium

In article ,
says...
delirium wrote:
Greetings, mighty rose people.

LOL!

I have a mystery. I purchased 4 roses from Kmart this weekend. (aiiee)

They do work pretty well, if one is careful to choose good specimens.

Yea, I know, but they were $6 apiece and big, healthy looking specimens.

See ;-)?

I did my best. After some judicious pruning, I was even more impressed.
Someone had been taking care of these plants.

p.s. The other 3 roses were Chrysler Imperial, Circus Rose and Baroness
Rothschild. Based on info I have been able to find it seems that all but
the Baroness are well regarded but I would be interested in others'
experiences.

I grown Ch. Imp., which for our area is one of the best fragrant red
roses. Strong grower, prolific bloomer, and out here, laughs at fungal
diseases. Blossoms becoem bluish with age, a problem that is not a real
problem if one harvested the roses for vases early enough g. I love
its fragrance and strength.

Dandy. Thank you for the excuse. My fingers have been itching to fill up
some vases.

Oh, one note of caution. Chr. Imp. bears some very wicked thorns, so it
is not suitable for a high traffic area. If treated with respect and
affection, it is certainly a truly delightful rose, in some ways
mightier than even Mister Lincoln, gets about 150% bigger than ML whose
seed parent Chr. Imp. is.

Heh. I have noticed the thorns. Love hurts. I am glad to hear the
favorable comparison to Mr Lincoln. I almost selected that as my red
rose, but all of the examples of Ch Imp seemed much more vigorous.

-Jenn
Old 08-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Shiva

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:33:28 GMT, delirium wrote:

I am in N Raleigh, near the intersection of Sawmill and Leadmine. I don't
have many full sun places at all. It took a bit of detective work to find
the space for these roses.

I know what you mean. People who live here don't wonder why it is
called "City of Oaks." Hurricane Fran, in 1997, cleared a couple of
pretty large areas here. Heartbreaking as it was to see the huge old
oaks and pecans go, it has made for nice roses.

-Jenn

Old 08-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

delirium wrote:

I did my best. After some judicious pruning, I was even more
impressed. Someone had been taking care of these plants.

There must be a caring gardener or two amongst some of the Home Depot
outlets as well, from what I have seen.

Chrysler Imperial

Dandy. Thank you for the excuse. My fingers have been itching to fill
up some vases.

CI blooms last a fair length of time in the vase. They look lovely mixed
in with Sheer Bliss and Bewitched blooms, two other fabulous HTs that I
recommend that you grab if you ever come across them, and all three are
heavily fragrant.

Chr. Imp. bears some very wicked thorns, ...

Heh. I have noticed the thorns. Love hurts.

Very true.

I am glad to hear the favorable comparison to Mr Lincoln. I almost
selected that as my red rose, but all of the examples of Ch Imp
seemed much more vigorous.

Interesting. Mister Lincoln is a grand, grand rose, but it is very
important to get a hold of a strong nursery stock for this one, as I
found out by first failing to grow a weakling (after trying for three
years) and then, doing very well with a vigorous specimen from the nursery.

Oklahoma and Papa Meilland are also two very good roses, descended from
Chr. Imp. Enjoy!

--
Radika
California