Old 19-07-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Copper spray

On 7/19/2008 3:25 AM, FarmI wrote:
I've just sprayed my peach trees with Burgundy mix (a variant on Bordeaux)
and was wondering how long copper sprays have to be on the plant to be
effective? We got a light shower within 24 hours of application and I can
still see a light blue tinge around the bud edges.

I've always sprayed again if there is rain within 48 hours. However,
there is a difference between RAIN and light showers.

Actually, I always spray at least twice. First, I spray right after
pruning (January). Then, I spray again just as the flower buds swell
and show some red (not yet open, March).

Are you in the southern hemisphere? It's quite late to be spraying
peaches in the northern hemisphere. Aha! You're in Australia. There,
I would spray in July (now) and again in September.

I've seen no sign of leaf curl this year. My peaches are ripe right
now; they're quite good. Although I thinned them severely, I still have
more than I can give away.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean